Friday, January 11, 2008

The Hum of the Machines, the Snarl of the Ripper

Oh, yes, panne velvet is the Evil Fabric To Be Avoided.

In my excitement of finding such a lovely color,I had forgotten I had declared panne velvet OFF the sewing list.

But, let's face it, for some projects, it's just the Right fabric.

After cutting out the Sewing Workshop Citycapes dress, AND the Today's Fit drapey t-shirt, I still had enough of the royal blue velvet to cut out a Jalie 2005 t shirt for DD. When I finished cutting the duppioni top, I decided to start with the quickest-to-sew of the blue queue so there'd be something ready to wear by Sunday. And, being the put-my-family-first person that I am (yes, I'm being sarcastic!), I decided to do DD's t-shirt first. How unselfish of me! (honest? It's a guilt trip preventative...)

I got as far as the neckband...the second step...of the T before I had to pull out the seam ripper. The (grumble grumble) under side of the neckband had crept out from between the top edge and the upper side of the neckband and didn't get caught in the seam. Rip it, rip it, try again. Sigh. But her T is done to the double-needle hemming, which I'll do on all three garments at once. The Today's Fit T is ready for sleeves (and stretch velvet is not on the recommended fabrics for that pattern for a reason, but I'm Making It Work...sort of...). The Cityscapes dress is not started, but really isn't much more than an elongated t-shirt anyway. The Men Of the House are off on the Royal Ranger Winter Campout tonight, so I *should* be able spend quality time in the sewing nook. There *will* be a velvet something to wear for choir this Sunday.

Either that or my seam ripper will be worn to a nub.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Too bad that your seam ripper is having to work, but at least you're making progress. I have a "white serger thread" queue that is getting the "fifteen minutes here, hour there" kind of treatment and also progressing. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it this weekend and move on to something for ME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you're getting to spend some time sewing! I don't sew much with panne velvet, hmm, I wonder why? Any velvet is slippery though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Quality time in the sewing nook! Our loved ones don't realize how much we enjoy giving them time away from home, do they??

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)