Thursday, March 01, 2007

Threads Tip Implimentation


Every once in a while, a real lightbulb goes off when I'm reading the Readers' Tips section of Threads and -- this is the unusual part -- I actually remember it later. Such was the case with these nifty little bobbin wraps. This tip was in issue #129, and I asked my DH to pick up some 1/2" tubing (we figured that would work for size 15 bobbins) next time he visited Home Depot. He had to get 10 feet of it, but since it was something like 40 cents a foot it still wasn't a major investment.

When I was looking for the teal thread to match the ITT fabric the other day, I hit the !!!!! stage in dealing with the tangle of bobbin threads erupting from the boxes I kept them in and I remembered that the tubing was now in the house. By trial and error, I found that a width of about 5/16 of an inch works best; I worked with 6" - 8" lengths of the tubing, which I slit first, squished sort of flat, and cut with my old Dritz rotary cutter (the one I use to cut wallpaper, cardboard...etc).

Wow. What a difference. No more tangles...no more tears... :p

3 comments:

  1. Cool!! It's really great when those tips work out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I'll have to try that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I'd do: I read it, forget it and remember it *after* I've fought with something. You do one better than me and actually remember the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)