Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The London Shrink




Since I only had 1 3/4 yards of the sparkly red, I decided to prep it by doing the 'London Shrink'
1)run a bedsheet through the 'rinse only' cycle, so that it's damp
2) carefully spread the sheet out, then lay the fabric out flat on it. Roll/fold the fabric and damp sheet together and let them rest overnight.
3) lay the fabric out flat to dry
4) steam press the fabric well, being careful not to stretch or distort the fabric while pressing (I have also read that you should allow each section to dry thoroughly after steam pressing before moving on to the next).

So...I'm at Step 3; I adjusted the pattern last night, taking 1/2" out of the shoulder width at the princess seam and dropping the shoulder height by 1/2". Hopefully, the two adjustments canceled each other out at the armsceye and I should not have to adjust the sleeve, which fits and hangs very nicely.

1 comment:

  1. "London Shrink" - Well at least I don't have to hop on plane over the pond to have my psychiatric issues fixed!

    I knew what you meant - but there is an entirely other meaning to the phrase. Can you tell I just got home from teaching all day?;)

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)