Monday, June 04, 2007

Finally a Photo: the first true self-draft


I made this skirt a couple of weeks ago; it's been waiting for a photo op before I wrote it up. DH was taking ebay pictures last night and I jumped in and made him take a picture.

This is my first truly self-drafted pattern; something that came from math and rulers and didn't have any elements traced from another pattern. My inspiration was Loes Hines' Tango Skirt, which is a pull-on ten gore skirt with a bit of trumpet flare at the bottom (you can't tell that from the photos at the website; you've got to click on 'Line Drawing' on the right side of the skirt page to see how the skirt is made).

Anyway, I thought...it's one piece, no zippers, no darts...how hard can it be?

I added what I *thought* I wanted for ease to my estimated hip measurement, (it'd been awhile since I measured and I was too involved to strip down to the skivvies for a new one) and divided that measurement by 10. Then I added 3/4" (for 3/8" seam allowances) and I had the width of my gore....I'll call it 'X' inches. 'X' inches turned out to be a measurement that ended in '.9', so I fudged it up one tenth of an inch so it was easy to measure. I drew a rectangle that was the new 'x' inches wide, and the length was my waist-to-just-below knee measurement, plus 1 3/8" for the elastic at the top (1") and the hem (3/8"). At the bottom, I marked the center point, so I'd know where to balance the curve. I measured to the top of my knee, since that was about where I wanted the flare to start, and eyeballed how wide I wanted it (I think I added 2 1/2"; that'd be 1 1/4" on each side; I'd check but the pattern piece seems to be AWOL at the moment). A French Curve ruler to true up all the curves and angles, and I had my pattern piece! I angled the seams back towards the center at the hemline, to help pull out extra fullness in the hem allowance (I have a Kwik Sew flared skirt pattern from which I learned that little trick). I cut ten of them from one of the knits I picked up at the Sir's Spree last month.

Sewing it was a snap...10 seams, elastic waist and hem. I did try it on before I added elastic or hemmed it, and I found that it really was much too full in the hips. It wasn't just an inch too big (the addition resulting from rounding the gore measurement); it was nearly a whole gore too big; I think I'd overestimated the amount of ease I needed (2" of ease comes to mind...I think that's what I estimated). So I just took the skirt back to the serger and re-sewed each seam 1/4" deeper, then tried it on again. *That* was right (for a lightweight stretchy knit, anyway), so I finished it out w/elastic and hem and it's done!

You really can't see the flippy hem in the pictures; it just looks sort of pleated at the bottom.

I'm not sure the length is dead perfect; it feels a little short for this forty-mumblemumble something female, but I think I'll just pass it off as a summer skirt and it'll be ok. But for a fun exercise in pattern drafting it worked great!

12 comments:

  1. Looks great, Lisa! I like the length a lot. Good job on the drafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks cute, and not too short at all! As a fan of the original Tango skirt, I predict you'll be making a lot of these!

    BTW, you'll probably need a little more ease when you make it as a woven. But the way you went about it is great, making it bigger and re-sewing the seams deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I kept waffling on whether to just order the Tango or not...finally I thought I'd just give this a try and see how it worked.

    I think I started with a generous estimate of what my hip measurement was (been through some weight fluctuations; I need to retake some measurements...); so I probably had more than 2" of ease in the beginning. I'll probably leave the original pattern to try with a woven, but I will trim a copy down for knits ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the perfect length, love it. Congrats on your self-drafted pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great skirt and a very flattering up to date hem length. Congratulations, I think you deserve to be proud of your draft.

    Susan W

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have great legs, great looking skirt. I still like to wear my skirts that length.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great skirt! Nice job. I think the length is great. You have really nice legs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great skirt, and I think it's the perfect length -- especially with your great legs! Wear it and don't be shy! Any longer and it would be frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on the drafting! The length is perfect on you - I say if you have the legs, you should show them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa,

    Wow! I'm impressed. Great job on drafting your summer 10-gore skirt. The proportions look really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looking skirt. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with everyone else, as another 40 something, I think it is a great length, goes great with some fun flats or sandals for summer! Very cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)