Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Quiz Mania

We hated quizzes in school, right? So now we take them just for fun on the 'net...

The latest one to make the rounds is the "Which American Accent Do You Have" quiz.

Like you don't know.

Well, I took it, oh, a month or so ago just to see if it was accurate or not; there were a couple of questions that could've gone either way, and I came up as having an 'Inland North' accent...which suprised me, because I do not sound like a Minnesot'n. So I changed the 'maybes' and then was labeled 'Midland', which is accurate, as I grew up in central Indiana. Just for grins I re-took it today and didn't have any 'maybe' answers...perhaps I was just tired the first time? Anyway, the results were the same as trial two:
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
 
The Inland North
 
The South
 
Philadelphia
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
The Northeast
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


I'm kind of interested as to why we find these things worth doing. This one wasn't too bad, at least as far as the questions themselves went, but I've taken some that are obviously biased and to which I want to answer 'None of the above!!!' on over half the questions.

I suspect we subconciously use the quizzes to judge ourselves against the 'norm', whatever that is, and gain some self-validation out of the process.

But what do I know....

2 comments:

  1. Ahh-Haaa! I'm so glad you posted this commentary on the quiz-craze. I took this quiz, twice, and then wondered why I would waste my time and couldn't explain it to myself. So what do I know? Not much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! That's the psychological reason exactly... we all worry about how far we deviate from the "norm" (as if there were such a thing).
    Myself... I'm a midlands too.
    And I've never thought I was a norm!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)