Thursday, November 02, 2006

Confession Time...

In the midst of today's multi-tasking mess, I found myself mentally writing today's post and decided that, after almost a year of blogging, it's time to admit some things to those of you who've decided to stop by here from time to time.

I am chronically disorganized. I've known this for years. I have the Sidetracked Home Executives card box and the notebook of A Disciplined Woman. I've got Flylady's site bookmarked. And my house is still a mess, my laundry is overflowing and all my cooking utensils are dirty. My budget is 3 months behind and I still owe graduation cards to the Class of 2004. And the numbers on my bathroom scale are starting to scare me.

I'm not here asking for help; I really and truly know what to do. I'm just not doing it. It doesn't matter how great the system is if you're not doing it.

And today was the first day this week that I really had to myself; so I'm tackling everything at once (in true Sidetracked fashion). I've sorted laundry and have got 3 loads running/in process at the moment. I emptied the dishwasher and loaded it up with what I could put in there. I found what was causing the yukky smell in the bottom of the sink and eradicated it. I basted and sewed the neckband on to my Cadeau T test. I talked to a couple of friends on the phone about some issues; one was practical, one was spiritual. I serged finished the edges of the 7 yard chunk of flannel that I got last week so I could pre-wash it before cutting it into appropriate sheet/pillowcase pieces. I ate lunch. I wrote in my journal.

And, visibly, it looks like I've done a bunch of nothing. At the end of the day, I'll look around and see 12 half finished projects and wonder what I did all day. I've decided that's the problem with multi-tasking; there are so many projects in so many stages of completion that, even when one is finished, there's no 'Whew! I'm done' feeling, because there are so many other things that are NOT finished. Several years ago, one of my (very organized) friends commented that she had a book that she was reading...'a chapter or two a day, when I've got my work done.' That was an amazing comment to me...I don't think I've ever had a day in my life (since I had kids, anyway) in which I could say 'I've got my work done'. There's always something else....


Ah, well, tomorrow's another day; maybe I'll clean my sink, put my cards in order, make my 'To Do' list, and exercise... ;)

4 comments:

  1. I think for somebody with as many interest, and kids as you, it is impossible to have everything "done". Maybe you should start listing accomplishments in your journal (e.g. 3 loads of laundry, 1 loaded dishwasher, etc.) Although there will still be laundry and dishes to do you still have accomplished something. I'm amazed at all you do get done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm also a big fan of making lists. They help keep me on track, though I've reached that point in life when there are days I need a list to keep track of my lists! I also take time to mark things off my lists as I complete them because it does show that I did get a few things done! You might be surprised at how much you are getting done without realizing it.

    Pat yourself on the back for the good job you're doing!

    PegL

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am chronically disorganized. "

    Yah, so? Why should you be different from any of the rest of us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *giggle*
    Thanks for the perspective, Ann! :D

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)