Thursday, August 13, 2009

Plannin' a brown jacket

I dug through the entire pattern cabinet and all my BWOF magazines trying to decide what I wanted to use for a brown jacket.

I have some lovely brown Zegna wool from Michael, so I knew what fabric the pattern must work for.

But I had some criteria...I didn't want to use my lovely wool on something that would be dated in a season or two; it had to have Staying Power. It also had to work w/a number of different shirt necklines. Shoulder princess lines were preferred, for ease of alteration.

And it had to work w/my body type...Middle Aged.

I compiled a short list of about 5 patterns, but ultimately decided upon Jacket 116 from BWOF 12/2008:


I've got 4 yards of the brown wool, so I might make pants, too.

Anyway, I expect it to take about a week to get the pattern traced (I think there are something like 12 - 13 pieces, some of which will have to be adapted and traced again for the lining).

But it's out on the Project Table to be traced...who knows, maybe I'll get a TNT out of it...

4 comments:

  1. A beautifully classic jacket!
    Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will probably be a beautiful outfit! Just add some amazingly awesome buttons and you will happily wear it for years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pam--that jacket is a perfect classic and will go with so many things. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent choice, I think you'll be very pleased with the results and will be able to wear it a lot - especially for those choir months in which the color is brown.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)