Friday, January 25, 2019

Sad News

I logged on to social media this morning and discovered one of my absolute favorite sewing teachers, Cynthia Guffey, succumbed to throat cancer on Monday.

This is a real loss to the sewing community; Cynthia was absolutely one-of-a-kind. She obviously loved what she did...and she was very good at it.  Practical, down to earth,  and witty...she would go through page after page of flip charts as she drew and slashed and taped.  She would slice muslins (she called them 'mock ups') up in a heartbeat...often to the audible gasp of the class, first at the shock of someone just taking scissors to a whole garment, and then, when she pulled and taped (she proved to me that masking tape is an invaluable sewing aid) up the slashed garment, there would be another gasp of appreciation as we all saw that the garment now hung properly.

She told stories, shared recipes, gave makeup and style tips...and loved dark chocolate.

On the occasions when I was able to attend the Sewing Expos over the years, I always loaded up on her classes.  It didn't matter if I had seen/heard the topic before; I always came away challenged and inspired.

I have several of her books and videos and even a few of her patterns.  Maybe I can figure out a way to put one of her patterns into my sewing plans as a memorial.

RIP, Cynthia.  You were loved and will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)