Saturday, July 06, 2024

...and the klutz is at it again...

 Got a mandoline (the slicer, not the instrument, lol) around Christmas last year; finally pulled it out to slice cucumbers for salad on Tuesday.

It was a fairly large cucumber, and I thought, 'My hand is a good 3" above that blade, I'll whittle it down a bit and then use the guard."

Stupid.  Stupid. Stupid.

I did fine for about the first dozen passes, then something happened...still don't know what....and the cuke twisted and threw my pinkie finger right down on the blade.

Y'all.  I was still on aspirin to avoid clots, post surgery.  That thing bled and bled and bled...we went to urgent care, where I went when I stupidly cut my index finger last year, but when I told them I was on aspirin they said I had to go to the ER.

So off we went...to the pricier (and closer) of the two hospitals.  It wasn't stitchable, so they put a compression bandage on it but it was still bleeding profusely after about a half hour (at this point I'd been squeezing my pinkie for about an hour and a half to two hours; my left hand was cramping) so they put some stuff on it to help the blood coagulate, wrapped it up tightly and told me to leave it for 48 hours. 'If it's still bleeding when you change the bandage, come back.'


It hurts worse than last year's injury.  Probably because my finger was twisting as it hit the blade.  I actually went looking for my post surgery pain meds  middle of the night on Tuesday, it hurt that badly.  But I had stashed them so well (didn't actually take them after surgery; it was never that bad) I couldn't find them.  I took an ice pack back to bed and managed to get back to sleep.

Well, not going into gross detail but the non-stick dressing completely adhered to the booboo so when we tried to take it off on Thursday...it pulled on the injury and it started bleeding again.

So we went back.  Following directions.  Was SO excited to go to the ER in the evening on July 4th, but they were surprisingly not busy, at least while we were there.

A soak in a sterile saline bath and the old dressing came free with minimal bleeding so I got bandaged back up and sent home with instructions to change it after another 48 hours.

Just changed the bandage again and that puppy is still oozing when disturbed. And it still hurts, although not so badly as earlier in the week.

Stupid. Stupid.  Been saying that a lot.

So much for getting back in the sewing room.

Sigh.

I am going to get myself some of those chain-mail gloves, lol.

8 comments:

  1. Buy two pairs so that you have one sitting with your rotary cutter or scissors, and put a note on the cutter “ONLY w glove” …wishing you a coagulated future…my husband had back surgery two weeks ago, was finally discharged home but no one gave him blood thinners so we ended up back in the hospital with clots…and I gaining a fuller understanding of this thin blood process… praying for you and your family to find other options to protect you- consider that family game night! Reverse Clue…Chris in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry to hear. Hope you heal quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a little voice that says “this might not be a good idea” and then the STUPID voice that’s says “ nah, nota problem”. More lessons learned.
    A few weeks back I climbed over our trailer tongue while trying to hook it up to our bus. My little voice said STOP and walk around the trailer but my daredevil voice said Go for it- so I did. I tripped and hit the deck in a cloud of dust. Bloodied both knees on the gravel. Earlier that same day the hubby had broken his back so I had to do everything to get us ready to go home. Next time I hope I remember this lesson 😆.
    I guess you will be reading about sewing for a while 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait...your hubby BROKE HIS BACK???? Omigosh, is he ok?

      And, yes, I need to learn to heed that warning voice from the onset. If I had used that stupid guard I would not now be typing with only 9 fingers, lol.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, in three places. We do not know how or why. Still waiting on test results. He was in his recliner almost exclusively aside from some short walks around the property. He is more mobile now and can put on his own shoes. He is not a guy that likes to sit around so that’s been tough and is super hard for him now that I have to do the things he normally would. But hey, you do what you gotta do.

      I bet that guard will be installed next time. Good grief what a time you’ve had!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this, Lisa. I hope by this late date you are much better. I was away on vakay and just getting back to checking my blogs. Take care friend and happy Coagulation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nearly healed; I have a lovely shiny patch of new skin that is REALLY TENDER, lol. I'm keeping a bandaid on it for the time being, just so I don't wince when I bump it on something, lol.
      Dunno how long it will take to toughen up, but at least I'm back to 10 fingered typing.

      Delete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)