Thursday, June 13, 2024

I lost my blogroll...

 This hurts...

I had a long list of blogs that I followed from back in the day.  Unfortunately, some of them have fallen into ...other hands?...and were now being updated with non-sewing material, to put it mildly.

I repeatedly tried to edit out the blogs that were now talking about stuff other than sewing, or that set off my Unsafe Site alert when clicked, or that were now just filled with crazy asian script, but I could. not. get. Blogger to save updates.  The Save button just would NOT activate.  I tried over and over, over several months.

Then I hit on an idea...what if I just made a new blog list widget, with the bloggers that I could remember who were still publishing?  I could copy and paste from the old list pretty easily.  Then I could delete the old one and hopefully not get those random non- sewing links showing up

It was sad to go through the list and see all the fine folks who were no longer blogging.  And, it's true, some had even reactivated after several years of being dormant...that was exciting to see.  But truth was...any non- active blog seems to be subject to being hijacked and used for other purposes so I took a deep breath and just listed the ones I thought were active, as best I could remember.

It saved it...in the wrong place.  I tried to move it, but no dice, so I did a new one...again...

It saved, I thought, but all I managed to do was get rid of both the old list and the list in the wrong place.  The list in the right place, for whatever reason, didn't save.

So I will likely have to reconstruct it all from scratch again and that will take some time.

Bummer.

I guess this is the kind of thing that happens when I can't actually sew, lol.

I will say I am recovering from the hip surgery slowly.  It's one week out today and I actually managed to lift my foot high enough to get over the edge of the bathtub, so I could take a real shower.  Hooray for small victories...

5 comments:

  1. Bummer on the lost list.
    I'm glad your hip replacement went well and you are on the mend. It never seems fast enough though, does it? A full shower felt good I bet, not just physically, but mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Massive sigh of relief to feel clean again! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hello! (Indigotiger here) I have a suggestion that (might) let you recapture your former blog list items... sometimes I have been able to look up "lost" internet items on the Wayback Machine on Internet Archive website. Have you ever used that? Basically you paste in a web address and if it is archived, it shows up on a calendar of when they saved it, and you can click links from there... I don't know if this helps, but just in case I thought I'd share the idea...
    https://wayback-api.archive.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad you lost the list! I can totally relate to this though - I still use Feedly to get blog post updates but I've noticed a LOT of former sewing bloggers have either gone to paid promotion/sponsorship type posts because they have a big audience or the URL has been taken over by people who don't post about sewing at all. It's sad some of the resources we have lost, but I am continually thankful for some of the OG's who are still out here posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! I actually use Feedly for my blog reading, but figure it's good courtesy to have the blogroll posted. I will be recreating it from the Feedly ...feed...lol as I encounter bloggers who post. It's just going to take a while. Kinda the way I grew the original list....

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)