Sunday, July 28, 2024

Healing up...

Yesterday, I actually sat down to the sewing machine and did some sewing whilst having a zoom chat with a number of sewing buddies who all used to be part of the now-defunct Stitcher's Guild (Dragon Lady, I do hope you are doing ok...).

That was the first sewing of any kind that I've done since I whacked my right pinky finger on the mandoline on July 2.  Unfortunately, I can't share what it was because of the nature of the thing.  Sometimes things have to be...secrets.

I will talk about it...eventually, lol.

Actually, quite a lot of my sewing over the next  2- 3 months will be of the 'I can't talk about it on my blog'  ilk.  It will all make sense at the end.

I will take pictures, lol.

But...what I *can* talk about is costuming.  We did a first pass at sorting through the costumes...at least, getting like items all on a rack together instead of spread out over all the racks willy-nilly, which is how they were done.  We are, I am told, getting some additional industrial z-racks so we can refine the sorting somewhat once those come in and are assembled.

Then, perhaps, we can do some sort of inventory and see what we actually have now...which will give us a better idea of what we will need in the future.

I wish I had better organizational skills.  Maybe this will force me to learn some, lol.

On another note, the Great British Sewing Bee finale was last week.  Was anyone watching?  We had a discussion about it on the zoom call this morning and lamented that the quality of sewing just isn't up there ...due mostly to the ridiculous time restraints.  But, also, earlier in the series when the choice was between a fantastic vision/ design that isn't fantastically sewn and a well-sewn but less adventurous design that wasn't quite finished, the not went to the design and the person who had executed well but bitten off more than she could chew in the time allotted went home, I found myself wondering if they were looking for 'Britain's best amateur sewer' or 'Britain's best amateur designer'. I think that subtle shift happened when May Martin (a sewing educator) stepped down as one of the judges and Esme Young ( a fashion designer) took her place. In the final pattern challenge of this series, Patrick emphasized 'We have given you PLENTY  of time' to sew a pair of very fiddly opera gloves.  Looking at how everyone faired...I'd say they gave them plenty of time to sew it perfectly but no extra time to go back and fix mistakes that are likely to be made by someone who's never tackled something like opera gloves.  Of course, the winner of that challenge was the one person who had actually made gloves before.  The other two made mistakes they didn't have time to fix, which was sad.  I am not sure the best skilled sewer is one who never makes mistakes...or one who has the determination and wherewithal to undo and correct a mistake.

 I know  I am never the first type but hopefully the second, lol.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are healing up well. (When I cut myself washing a tuna can recently, I said to myself - "oh no I've done a Lisa", though mine only bled a bit). Hope your secret sewing goes well :-) Costumes wise perhaps the church could fund some labels with the church name on them which get sewn into every garment (might help when people borrow them). Plus some other sort of colours/numbers scheme on cloth scraps sewn into the costumes (easily written with permeant marker or sewn on an electronic sewing machine). You seem to have Bible Costumes and Dickens costumes in adult and child sizes so could have just a few letters for that and a number. So BA23, could be the 23rd Bible Costume sized for an adult. Then you can have an inventory -(spreadsheet?) which is also printed out, laminated and attached to the relevant rolling rail. Also some system of noting which costumes have been leant out/borrowed and what needs to be replaced/repaired. If you have a keen teen wanting to help over the summer that might really help. Just my two-penneth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud at 'Oh no I've done a Lisa'...shared it with the hubs and he chuckled as well.
      That numbering system is very close to what I have been thinking about. I've been trying to source costume labels online; most of them seem to be show-specific ('Character' and 'Actor' are blanks...). I've looked a bit at the 'design your own' labels. they're not terribly expensive...I might just donate them myself. Once I decide...well, once the team decides...how to best go about it.

      Delete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)