Saturday, February 11, 2023

Start with a Scarf 2022 - the August Set

 Lawd have mercy, it's been a minute since I talked about the 'Start with a Scarf' wardrobe.

Here 'tis Feb of 2023 and I was just a fuzz over halfway through the process when I had to stop All Personal Sewing and hit the Christmas Production Costuming.

Then...I had to find a hat pattern, draft a pattern according to the instructions, test the pattern, tweak the pattern, and then ...make the hat that I wanted to put in the August set.

There was a hat and a scarf in the Vivienne Files selections for the August Hydrangea Scarf wardrobe;   I hunted around looking for something that would do; I looked at retail without much luck.  Found a nice navy wool beret at...Talbots?  I think?  But $80 was more than I wanted to spend. Finally checked some fabric sites and found a lovely bit of fabric at, I think, Fabric Mart...on sale, no less.  A double-sided wool cotton flannel.

So...I made a cap-and-scarf- set.


I probably should have put on one of the pink tops from the wardrobe, just for grins, but it works with red, too, lol.  The scarf was easy...just cut a rectangle and fringe it.  It's been done... a while, lol.  But the hat I finished today.

So, with that all set, here's what I pulled together for my version of the August wardrobe addition:

The pants and the denim jacket were pulled from the closet; the jacket came from Coldwater Creek, back when they had an actual physical store at the fancy open air shopping center across town.  It's SEVERAL years old at this point, lol.  The pants are tropical wool Sewing Workshop Plaza pants with a pleat that I flipped so I could put pockets under it, lol.  They are in a kinda weird spot, but they work, lol.

The pink 'space dye' sweater came from Chico's clearance; it's sheer enough that I have to wear a cami under it and it snags REALLY easy. At least it was...not expensive, lol.  Boots are navy leather patchwork Trotters.  The jewelry item was supposed to be a brooch, but I really don't wear them.  So I am substituting a necklace from Novica.  It looks like a bracelet, but it is a choker so it works with the neckline on the sweater.

I had the darndest time trying to photograph that hat.  Finally propped my small sewing ham up on the ironing board, and it...sorta worked.  I didn't realize the light over the ironing board was so much warmer than the light I shine on stuff hanging on the doors.

So here are all the clothes, to date:


I don't know what happened, but my file with the accessories had disappeared and I had to re-create it before I could add the new stuff.  


Maybe I should rename this -- 'Start with a Scarf: Hibiscus' since we're running into 2023, lol.  But actually I think I'll leave the 2022 moniker up since I'm working with the Vivienne Files posts from 2022.  When I do the  next phase...then I'll change the name...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)