Friday, February 17, 2023

I hope this works...

 So, I am going to add a skirt to the Hydrangea wardrobe; a few years back I got some pleated stretch velvet, with the idea of making a loose cardigan jacket, maybe.  Only when I got it...I found that the pleats were crosswise.

Which makes sense, I suppose, but I didn't expect that.  

So if I want vertical pleats...that's a cross-wise layout.

I put it back in the stash.

But a little while ago, I decided I wanted a Hippy Earth Mother Skirt I could wear in the winter.  I thought crushed velvet would make a nice funky skirt.  Was hunting around for some, actually, when suddenly I thought of my pleated piece.  Could I make a skirt out of that?  I did a quick set of math calculations and decided I could make it happen.

Like the doofus I am sometimes, I jumped right in and cut out the two yoke pieces.   And forgot to add seam allowance, so they were too short for pockets.  Teeth gnashing ensued, and I decided I probably couldn't recut them and resigned myself to a pocketless skirt.  But then I got cold feet and decided to measure out the fabric and then plot out the tier pieces.

Lo and behold, I had 3 1/2 yards... I thought I just had 2.  So maybe I could get it...

I did one layout using the yoke and three tiers, I had plenty of fabric, but that actually left me a rather largish oddly shaped remnant. What if I made the tiers all rather narrow, and cut more of them?

Here's what I ended up with...


I have to recut the pieces I already cut, but a skirt with 5 5" tiers will use up nearly all the fabric.

It's also going to be bodaciously big at the bottom; I will be hemming for days.  Maybe I'll get caught up on the Star Wars saga...still haven't finished Obi Wan, let alone ventured into Andor.  It would be good hand-hemming distraction, lol.

I will have to test my scraps from the boo-boo to make sure it is gatherable.  I have an idea to kinda force it if the pleats don't want to gather conventionally.  It will take forever to hand baste all the gathers in all the Tiers, so let's hope it plays nice.

I will hopefully report back on progress after the holiday weekend.  Here's hoping I did all the math right and it really does fit...it's very close, lol.  If my fabric isn't actually a full 60" wide ( I think it is but I will recheck) then I'm back to the original plan with lots of leftovers...

In other news; posted on the other blog,  it was a rather momentous day...

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see this. It sounds wonderful. ( The aging hippie in me talking. )

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)