Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Poppies, Poppies, Part IX

Still no pics that I can show... just a report...

I'm going to take off the next two days of work to sew; hopefully I can get at least what I have with me sewn up.  Skirt 3 is about half done...I'm not sure how many petals I have cut in my bag for skirt 4.  We ran out of fabric and, so far as I know, the fabric we ordered...three weeks ago??...still has not come in yet.

But I played around with the hat petal shapes tonight, made a couple of prototypes and fired a photo off to our Costume Mistress, who approved.  So I copied that pattern a couple of times, listed out the steps for constructing the hat petals (which are much simpler than the skirt petals) and will likely take all my scraps and the patterns in to school so any available volunteers can at least cut them out...we need 58 more (each petal requires a lining, a face, and two interfacings.  Lots of cutting).

I'm really missing the time I had back when The Actor was in the musicals...when I got everyone out the door and then just sat down and sewed.  Not that I would want to give up my job and go back to that, you know, but it was really nice when we were crunched...

Costume parade is next weekend.  Really hoping that fabric comes in soon...last I heard, Fed Ex had it.  They must be giving it a tour of the country...

2 comments:

  1. Hi-I hope you can share with me what you used to attach poppy hat petals to? I am in the midst of creating poppy hats and your hats are fabulous! The choreography for this number is fairly active, so they need to be secure. At close inspection, it appears they are attached to maybe a straw hat? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wasn't part of the actual hat assembly team, so I can't give you great details, but they were attached (I think by hot glue) to cheap straw sombreros that were painted red. The black sparkly stuff was some random weird fabric we found at Hancock's, and the curly ferny things were actually curly ferny things from Hobby Lobby or Michael's spray painted black. Hope that helps a little...

      Delete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)