Sunday, January 16, 2022

Finishing up the alteration of recent acquisitions....

 I had a few things that had arrived of late (some later than others, lol) that needed some altering so I decided to knock that out before I hit the new wardrobe sewing.

One was a pair of fleece-lined yoga pants from Land's End, for walking on chilly days.  They were about 2" too long; I tried wearing them cuffed up but the fabric fought folding so about 1/8 of a mile out I started walking on them and spent the rest of the walk hitching them up.  Annoying.  So I whacked off a bit and then hand basted them up before I double-needled 'em to hold that fold.  No pics...they're black pants so nothing would show up anyway.

And I had two more T shirts.  One I picked up during the family road trip to Indiana last summer; one of our favorite eating places is Das  Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury, Indiana.  If you go....go for breakfast, order off the menu, and get the beef biscuits and gravy.  SO GOOD.

Anyway, I wanted one of their 50th anniversary shirts but there wasn't a one to be had in my size.  But...hey, no problemo, I sew.  I got a 3XL.


 It's a little big, lol.  I took the picture last summer but didn't get around to getting the shirt apart for resizing until last week.  Cut it out last night and...doggone it if I didn't have the same 'too low   armsceye' issue with it that I had with the merino top.


Well, I knew how to fix it, lol.   I didn't have  enough cut off of the sleeve to fill in the gaps, so I cut the bottom to length and used that for a fill in.  Oddly enough, the front armsceye was considerably lower than the back armsceye...what's up with that?  But no one will notice it.

 

And I have my 50th anniversary commemorative t shirt...



Finally, I have a T shirt that I ordered online a couple of weeks ago...purely for whimsy...


Tron '82...Can you believe it's been 40 years since Kevin Flynn defeated the MCP?

Me neither. 

The ONLY size available was 3XL.  Fortunately, this shirt didn't need any gap filling on the underarm...I just took it apart, re cut it, and sewed it back up.  I left it the original length; I can wear leggings with it if I want.

If I dare, lol...Anyway,  I have a Tron shirt to wear to the Magic Kingdom on our long-planned whole family trip  in a few weeks; the Lord willin' and the Covid don't rise...



Moral of this story:   So what if the t shirt you love isn't available in your size?  If you can sew, you can make it work!


6 comments:

  1. Great re-dos on those tee shirts. Love the gussets and I have to confess---I have no clue who Tron and and MCP are but glad they are something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tron is a Disney franchise; one of the very first movies to utilize computer graphics in a serious way. Back in '82 it was kinda weird and didn't get a great reception but kinda has a geeky fan base (including yours truly and my kids, lol). They didn't do a second movie until 2010, and there have been on/ off plans to follow up; I think the last thing I heard was possibly a series on Disney+. But they're building a Tron ride in Magic Kingdom in Orlando so I expect that to regenerate some traction for a continuation of the story, lol. Alas, it will not be finished when we visit...to the great disappointment of most of my kids. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I agree - great t-shirt remakes. A question - do you keep the original neck ribbing intact or do you cut that off and do something different at the neckline? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't touch the neckline; I just whack off the sides and armsceye/sleevehead. Sometimes I will cut off the bottom but most of the time I leave the length so it's leggings-friendly.

      Delete
  3. And a little report...I did wear the TRON shirt to Magic Kingdom and got some comments on it, lol. One of my kids wanted to know where I got it...well...it was a make do, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)