Thursday, January 06, 2022

Start with a Scarf 2022: Here We Go!

 Well....here we go again.

My wardrobe needs a bit of refreshing; I really haven't sewn much for it since the middle of  2019, despite the continued influx of new fabric (albeit at a slower pace than years past...still, it's coming in way faster than it's being sewn).

Back in December, I started to consider attempting another year long sew-along with The Vivienne Files Six Scarves 12 Months wardrobes.

But I hadn't been wearing scarves much; a scarf and a facemask really don't work well together....especially if the facemask is made of printed cotton and not a solid.  But masks are getting less and less expected, especially for folks who are vaccinated, and I was thinking a  scarf-based wardrobe might just be the push I needed to get the scarves back into the rotation.

One of the scarves I pulled out to consider was this one that I'd spotted a year or so ago and was utterly smitten with:

(Hydrangea Scarf from PJ Studio Accessories via Wolf and Badger)

I don't remember the occasion but I snagged it at a SIGNIFICANT discount. But it, like the other scarves I've collected in the last two years, has just languished in the closet.  

Well, this year Janice posted about the 2022 scarves on Christmas Eve; typically that post goes up on Jan 1 (or shortly thereafter).  But she has completely reimagined the approach to the wardrobe building this year and, as shown in the linked post, she's starting each wardrobe off with five garments in the neutral color.

All of the scarves are from PJ Studio Accessories...and one of them is the Hydrangea scarf!  She picked a scarf I actually own!

If that's not A Sign...I don't know what is.

Now, I had originally thought I'd use black as the neutral with that scarf, with mint, rose, royal and white as the accents:

But Janice used black as the neutral for a different wardrobe; this one gets navy blue as the neutral:


Now, I have SOME navy in my wardrobe but I will definitely have to add some.  The five garments she posted as the core of the wardrobe are a long sleeved crew neck t shirt, a button-up cardigan sweater, a pullover sweater and two pairs of (rather casual) pants.  

I have navy pants...two pair and a couple of pairs of nice dark wash jeans...but the tops, well, not so much.  I did poke around online; tried to buy the sweaters she had linked but for some reason I couldn't use the discount I'd been emailed from that vendor just a day or two earlier that was supposed to be good through the week...and in a fit of pique I closed down and started looking at fabric sites.

I may be sewing in the upstairs room before I quite get it set up...

When Janice's 1/3 post was not about the scarves, I thought I had all month to come up with the five core garments, but the 1/5 post was about the first additions to the core:  A long sleeved knit shirt and a cardigan (a twinset in some wardrobes), two pairs of shoes, a bag and a pair of earrings....chosen to expand the wardrobe enough for a weekend getaway.  The pink she chose for the Hydrangea wardrobe is lovely...and, with some hunting, I think I found a pretty close matching knit to concoct my own version of the twinset.  So that's five garments to make this month

I think I will cut myself a little slack; if I'm late, I'm late.  Maybe I will be caught up by May.

I've joined the Stitcher's Guild S(ew) W(ith) A P(lan) contest again this year; hopefully I can meld the two challenges into one.

Here's to more garment sewing in 2022!



3 comments:

  1. What a good idea to do a sewing version of those wardrobes! And you're right, her picking your scarf is definitely a sign from the sewing deities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, your scarf is a lovely start. It has such beautiful (and wearable) colours in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gorgeous scarf. I can't wait to see how this works out for you. Those just happen to be my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)