Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Pitfalls of Making it Up as I Go

Did I mention that I'm adding a lining to the preacher costume coat? (Butterick 3072, for those who've lost track of what I'm working on). It's an unlined pattern...which bugs the stew outta me, there's no way that coat will move properly without a lining. So I drafted the lining pattern, made it up first and fitted it so I could use it to tweak the original pattern. But the jacket has three vents...one in center back, and one on either side of the back, in the wrapped-to-the-back side seam.

I'm trying to figure out how to finish off the lining at those vents. I'm probably going to have to just hand sew it all down, but I did think I would wrap the self-facing on the upper side of the vent over the lining.

Which means I can't stitch the vents down until after the lining is inserted.

Wish I'd realized that before I stitched 'em down. That was the 'I'm done for tonight!' moment last night....so I get to start with my seam ripper today....

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Those sorts of things are usually my "I'm done for the day" moment, too. I agree, though a lining will make the coat move properly rather than sticking to whatever is underneath.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)