Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fixing the pattern....

I finished Pastor N.'s coat lining yesterday morning and had him try it on whilst I was at church for a meeting in the afternoon. All in all, it looks pretty good, but I'm going to have to do a bit of work on the armsceye.

I was quite chagrined to find what is apparently a drafting error in the armsceye/sleeve. There was a good inch too much ease in the back of the sleeve, and the notches for the backside of the sleeve/ jacket didn't match up at all. So something was amiss, but I didn't know if the error was in the sleeve or in the armsceye. I removed about 5/8" from the sleeve at the sleeve back seam, trimmed some of the curve off the back sleeve cap and made a teeny pleat (it's the lining...it'll be ok) in the sleeve to get the rest out.

I still don't know whether the error is in the sleeve or the jacket, but after trying the lining on Pastor N., I'm going to enlarge the armsceye a bit. He can use all the sleeve ease I can give him. ;)

The back of the shoulders look a bit funny to me; almost like the shoulders are too wide. But he needs all the ease when he moves, so I guess we'll just have to live with the drapey lines when his arms are down. He will be quite active in the costume (this is close to a re-enactment type deal) so he needs to be able to have full range of motion.

So, I need to pull out the pattern and work some on the armsceye to get it to be a little better fit to the sleeve.

At least it's a pretty day and it will be nice working in the sunroom...where the cutting table is still staking a claim... ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa, just stopping by to say thanks for the compliments on my Chanel jacket. Much appreciated! Good luck with this pattern and fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Still claiming that sunroom, I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)