Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Heading into SWAP Season

Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do the challenge this year. I skipped last year and, to be honest, while I missed the camaraderie of it, I don't have a clue how I would've fit it in and amongst the costuming I ended up doing last March. It was a good thing that I hadn't committed to doing the contest; it just wouldn't have worked. But who knows if I'll have to do anything like that again in '08.

And I'm not sure my wardrobe *needs* another full-out SWAP wardrobe at this point.

But I do have a TON of stash fabric I need to use up, some of which coordinates very nicely and could easily be the core of a SWAP. Actually, I'm not sure what I would purchase from Timmel Fabrics for the 'participation fee'...I've got so much stuff here that needs using.

But 'Julie's Twist' -- the element that every group must have -- is a very interesting one this year. Everyone must use a 'wardrobe' pattern -that is, one pattern envelope that has patterns for at least three different garments-- and make three separate garments from that one pattern (i.e., a jacket, top and pants). I have several patterns that would fit that requirement, and this would be a great opportunity/inspiration to pull one out and get it all tweaked into a really good wardrobing resource.

IN fact, I pulled a pattern last night that I'm mulling over. I got a new Coldwater Creek catalog in the mail, and I was looking through it for inspiration...normally, I can spot garments that I could make very quickly/easily from the patterns in my cabinet. As I was looking, I finally put into words something about CWC clothes...they use garments w/simple lines in beautiful prints and colors. What really jumped out at me were the jackets and I told myself to not be afraid to use vibrant prints for jackets. CWC uses prints/patterns for jackets that I'd be hesitant to use...mostly because I want Really Useful jackets. But over and over again in the catalog the outfits are solid color tops/bottoms with a jacket that pops.

Maybe I need some popping jackets.

However, for a classical SWAP, the jacket should be a solid color, not a print. Yet my most successful SWAP wardrobe was keyed from a tweedy plaid jacket that served as the print element.

I'd have to make a really good choice for that print.

I'll have to upload the pattern pic tomorrow; it's OOP and Blogger's not doing photos at the moment ('We are aware of the problem and working to fix it'). I'll just say that it's a passable pattern for this jacket, this jacket, this vest or, with some shaping added, this jacket. 'Course, I'd have to do some reworking on it anyway, to get it morphed from an 8 in the shoulders to a 14 or so in the hips, and I'd have to almost totally redraft either the pants or the skirt (or both), since the pattern only goes up to a size 10. And I'd definitely widen the straps on the cami so I could wear a regular strap under it.

But it's a thought, it's definitely a thought...

5 comments:

  1. I completely understand! I thought I was going to do SWAP and had it all planned out. Then, LIFE, got in the way and I'm totally revamping what I *might* do if I do the SWAP at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I was getting SO mad at BLogger!!! :D

    I would love to do the SWAP but realistically I know I won't have time to finish it up. But I really want to!!

    Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your blog after recently joining sewing pattern review and found myself smiling at some of the similarities we have in regard to interests. Then I realized I live near you and thought it would be nice to communicate if you had a moment or two time every once in a while. My plate is full as well most of the time. My email grecofiore@aol.com regards, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah come on Lisa, you can do it! I remember your last SWAP, it was amazing! Maybe you should try to tie the two together?

    Spoken sagely by the one who is not participating this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think if I found an inspiring print element I'd be in. But so far I haven't had a print that talked SWAP to me yet...

    But there's time, there's time. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)