Tuesday, March 19, 2024

A little reminiscing....

 So, yeah, I am procrastinating.  I popped my knee a bit this evening and it hurts, so I'm sitting at the computer instead of putzing around the cutting table on the next costume...

I poked around on the blog a bit, looking at old posts, and I stumbled across one from 2007 in which I asked all my readers where they were from.

Saw a lot of names I hadn't seen in a long, long time.  I don't think I'll try it again; I had about 30 folks comment on that post and I'm sure I'd get nowhere near that now.  I don't think people comment like they used to.  I know I don't, lol.  Back in the day, there weren't feedburners and we read everyone's post right on the source.  Now most of the blog reading is done on something like Feedly and it takes an extra three or four clicks to get to the 'leave a comment' box.  I'm just as guilty as anyone else of reading right by...sometimes I think I'll go back and leave a comment but I almost always forget.  So I'm not whining about the lack of comments...just kind of wistfully remembering when it was different, lol.

But I did get a bit nostalgic for the community that we had back in those days; we all sewed and wrote it up and commented.  It was a real treat.  We even had some meet ups on shopping road trips and expo dinners, lol.  It was an amazing thing to see how we all connected via the web.

These days...folks are youtubing instead of blogging.  I do have a youtube channel; I think I got it when I made an account back in something like 2009.  I had no idea it was even there until fairly recently.  But, lawd have mercy, I don't think I could come up with enough content to make the youtube channel a thing.  I'm having enough trouble keeping two blogs active.

Maybe I'll fiddle with it in retirement, lol.  Be a cheesy old lady youtuber. Keep the brain sharp by learning video editing.....

Yeah, right, lol.

So anyway this is kinda pointless except to say that I had a love burst for all my friends...those I've met and those I haven't ...who pop by and read the sporadic posts and sometimes even leave a comment.  I appreciate all of you more than I could say.

I will hopefully be back shortly with another costume to show ;-)

17 comments:

  1. One of the best things about intermittent friendships is that it can be easy to pick them back up… so long as we each DO pick them back up. I have reduced how many comments I leave because my phone and some web apps don’t get along…so I will tap out letters and then IT denies posting… so at least so pray after reading things, and wish people well. If I recall correctly, in your last post you berated yourself for some misadventures in the warning practice… and it’s all practice, isn’t it? Hard to be good and graceful at something we don’t get to freq. and you have quite the list of adventures over the last few years., have you? I appreciate you sharing what you do…even when it usually feels like you’re talking to an empty room. It isn’t…Chris in FL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, the whole mobile thing...it takes me 5 times longer to type anything on my phone because...fat fingers, lol, so if I'm reading on my phone I usually don't even try to leave comments. I get it. Makes each comment that much more valuable...thanks!

      Delete
  2. Fat fingers?! NOT!!!
    I blame tiny buttons and auto-fill for my dislike of typing on the phone or tablet. I know them that decide on what autofill comes up with are definitely not sewists, quilters, needleworkers, or gardeners. So I hope I remember what & where I wanted comment on by the time I get back to my computer. Sadly that doesn't happen often. The remembering that is - I spend far too much time reading blogs that are still active, and a few forums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auto correct is not made for folks who sew. I remember sending a text message to one of my kids back during one of the sew-costumes-at-church marathons, 'I'm sewing at church'. Only the auto correct swapped an 'x' for the 'w' and I didn't catch it. She texted back, 'WHAT, Mother????' Stoopid autocorrect...like, why would the x be more common than the w in a text message???? LOL.

      Delete
  3. I have been a reader for years. Still appreciate your willingness to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still here reading. I don't do blogs on my phone much, so I have even less excuse not to comment. I also miss the old days of blogs. Youtube is OK, but not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie!! Always glad to see your puppy picture...whether here or on your own blog... ;-)

      Delete
  5. I’m a bit shy about leaving posts and often I write out posts only for nothing to happen when I hit publish. However, I really appreciate your blog and love reading it. I’m not set up with aggregators etc but will pick the blog roll of someone who follows lots of good content and then Work my way down. The old fashioned way LOL. Hope your knee gets better! Abbey (sews)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW! Thanks for overcoming the shy and saying hi! I'm probably going to have to deal with a replacement eventually but for now it'll do... ;-)

      Delete
    2. (knee replacement. The hip is getting switched in June, LOL)

      Delete
  6. I love your blog but have never commented - I often meant to but didn't get around to it and then figured you were obviously very busy anyway and wouldn't miss my comment. The message in the bottle you have thrown into the digital ocean really has been received and appreciated! I also read your religious blog from time to time and appreciate that very much as well. Oh, and I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw!!! Thanks for commenting, Anonymous from Philly! :-)

      Delete
  7. I love your blog! I don’t comment much, but had to this time! Hope your knee is better and happy Easter this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best thing anyone said to me today, lol. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)