Sunday, August 27, 2023

Serial Fun - Installment 5

 

I did finish cutting out the muslin; I have the bust darts sewn up.  I have my reservations about how those are actually going to look on the body but I should get the rest of the muslin sewn up tomorrow after work.  It did occur to me that I really haven't tried to fit a true sheath dress since menopause, lol, so it could take a couple of iterations.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep posting chunks of the 20+ year old not-so-fairy tale; you can find the earlier parts HERE; just be aware that it posts the most recent first, so you gotta scroll down and read up...


Part Two -- The Plan

 

            “What can I do?”  Rita asked herself again as she skipped across the small brook at the edge of the orchard.  Isabella needed help in the worst way, but Rita had promised not to tell anyone about her.  --Maybe, she thought to herself, --some promises shouldn’t be kept.  But, if Isabella’s fears were true, and questions were asked, Rita didn’t know if she could deal with being responsible for Isabella getting another beating...or watching more of her mother’s precious statuettes broken. She replayed the entire story in her head as she made her way back across the fields, trying to see a solution for her new friend. Really, what Isabella needed was for someone to sweep down on the manor house without warning and spirit her… and her mother’s things… away.  --Perhaps when Gregory gets home, Rita conjectured, --he can help me think of something...if I can figure out a way to ask for help without breaking my promise.  Gregory had always been good at helping Rita solve her problems before he’d gone abroad. --After all, princes are supposed to be good at rescuing damsels in distress, she thought as she smiled to herself.  She added out loud as she crossed a rock fence, “Then they get married and live happily ever after.”  Suddenly, her smile faded and she stood stock still as she realized what she’d just said.  Gregory and Isabella!  Of course!  She took a breath, dazzled by this new idea, and began walking toward the stables.  “How can I introduce them?”  She scarcely noticed that she was talking out loud to herself again.  “What if Isabella came to the ball next week?”  Rita considered that thought for a moment, then added, “But her stepmother and stepsisters will be there.  What if they saw her?”  Maybe a disguise of some sort...she’ll need an invitation, and transportation, something to wear...

            Rita was lost in thought, so she didn’t notice that Jerry Rattes was leading one of the horses out of the stable as she approached.  He startled her when he gasped, “Your Highness!  I thought you went back to the palace!”

            Rita quickly glanced around to see if anyone else saw her, but fortunately Jerry was the only one in sight.  “I decided to take a walk around the pastures.  Please don’t tell anyone.”  She looked at him forlornly.  “I don’t get much chance to just think things through...”

            Jerry, who was a solitary soul by nature, had often thought to himself how tedious it must be to be a member of the royal family and always have to have someone in attendance.  He smiled at her shyly, “I’ll keep your secret, your Highness.”

            Suddenly, Rita was hit with inspiration.  “Can you really keep a secret, Jerry?”

            Jerry looked a bit uncomfortable.  “I hope so, your Highness.”  The horse he was leading stamped her foot impatiently, and Jerry looked up at her.  “I need to take Joyful to the pasture...she wants a roll and a mouthful of grass, don’t you, old girl?”  He patted the horse’s nose affectionately.

            “May I walk with you?”  Rita definitely saw a way to solve one of her problems.  “I think I may need your help on something.”

            Again, that uncomfortable look came to Jerry’s face, but he replied, “You know I’m at your service, your Highness.”  They began walking toward the pasture gate.

            Rita took a deep breath.  “Jerry, this is an absolute secret, for reasons I can’t explain right now.  But I have a friend who needs transportation to the ball next Friday.  Is there any way we can do something to help?”

            Jerry thought for a moment.  “Well, I don’t know if we could get permission to do it, but there is the pumpkin.”

            “The pumpkin?”  Rita was lost.

            “The old children’s carriage.  It’s round and sort of orangish -- we’ve always called it the pumpkin.  It would seat one person just about right.  It’s not been used for years and years.  Me and Martin could clean it up.” Martin was Jerry’s younger brother and was even more quiet and timid around the royal family than Jerry.

            Rita frowned, thinking, as Jerry opened the gate and let the horse trot into the pasture.  Just as Jerry predicted, she took a fast gallop for a few moments, then rolled in the grass.  Rita laughed aloud, ‘You knew that’s what she’d do!”

Jerry looked at the old horse fondly.  “Yeah, me and Joyful have both been around here together for quite a while.  She does better when the other horses are off out of the pasture; I always bring her round when it’s empty.” 

Rita watched the old horse for a moment as she clambered to her feet and began munching the grass, then ventured. “I suppose my friend would need a driver and footman...could you drive it?  Would Martin be willing to be a footman for the evening?” 

            Jerry took a deep breath, hesitated just a moment and replied, “Aye, your Highness, I think we could help.”

            “What about horses?  And livery?”

            Again, Jerry frowned.  “The wagon team would pull the carriage, I think.  There’s some of the old livery in storage in the carriage house.  I think we could find some that doesn’t have the royal crest on it.  But...won’t Mr. Leifert have to know about this?”

            Rita sighed.  “That’s the problem, Jerry.  I’m sure he’d want to check it out with my parents, and that would spoil everything.  I promised my friend I wouldn’t tell anybody about her …wanting to come to the dance....” Her voice trailed off.  She hoped she hadn’t already broken her promise.  But Jerry was very unlikely to ask any questions that would get Isabella in trouble.  Still, if everything depended on getting Leifert’s permission...suddenly, Rita thought that her great idea wasn’t so great after all.  All she was likely to do was to get Jerry and Martin in trouble with the stable master. 

            Jerry was watching the Princess as all this occurred to her.  She wasn’t aware of how disappointed she looked as she realized what she wanted probably wasn’t going to work.  --All she wants to do is help somebody, he thought.  --She ought to be able to do that.  Suddenly, he was determined that he would do anything he could to see to it that she did whatever she felt she needed to do.  “Your Highness, I’ll figure out something.  Me and Martin will make sure the pumpkin’s ready to take your friend to the ball.  Just leave it to us.”

            Rita looked up at him, astonished.  “But, Jerry, I don’t want to cause trouble for you...are you sure you can do it?”

            Jerry nodded.  “Y’see, your Highness, the other stable hands is used to me and Martin kind of being off by ourselves, anyway.  If we’re in the carriage house cleaning an old carriage, why, it won’t seem so odd to them.  Mr. Leifert don’t take that much notice of us anyway; we’ve both been around long enough that he trusts us to do what needs doing.  We’ll manage.”

            If Jerry hadn’t been ‘mucking out stalls’ that day, Rita might have been tempted to give him a big, grateful hug.  A dazzling smile had to take its place.  “Jerry, I don’t know what to say.  Thank you from...the tips of my toes!”

            This time, Jerry actually smiled broadly at her, gratified to see that he had pleased her so much.  “Happy to oblige.”

            Rita nodded.  “I’ll check with you next week about how we’ll get my friend.”  With a wave, she headed toward the palace, exultant.  It might work...it really might work!  Then, she thought of the next thing on her list -- a ball gown -- and realized that the biggest challenge was still before her.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)