Thursday, March 23, 2023

Starting with deconstruction

 So, part of the task for the costume for the woman with...the issue...who will actually be a dancer is to deconstruct a skirt that was used in an Easter production 20 ish years ago.

The lady who sewed it was enamored of the new-fangled elastic in which the backing was sewn to the garment and the elastic threads pulled up and sewn down.  

Well, the elastic has degraded and deteriorated and is useless at this point...not to mention that I need the skirt, which has a matching top that fits, more or less,  to be much more flowy...and featuring strips...than the straight up-and-down with an elastic waist.  So I am taking it apart.

It's taking about four times as long as I expected...an icky, tedious business.  Once I get the elastic off the second piece I have to finish the edges and run the fabric through the laundry to get the residue off of if.

Word up...if you are ever sewing costumes for any kind of production, for the love of all re-purposers down the road, PLEASE do not use a teeniny stitch length.  

Just sayin'.

On the 'here's a tip' front,  some time ago I was watching you-tube clothing historian Bernadette Banner draft a pattern and she was using Christmas wrapping paper.  DING DING DING the lightbulb went off.

I think I paid a buck and a half or so for some REALLY STURDY ugly wrapping paper at Hallmark's after Christmas sale and used it to draft the gore pattern for the skirt (I think I will get ten gores).  Y'all, the grid marks made this an absolute BREEZE.  10/10 Highly recommend.  



No good for tracing, but if you a drafting from scratch...it's great.

Got another sewing weekend in front of me but I don't know if anyone else is going to show up.  That's ok...I know there are a couple of ladies who are doing alterations/ mending at home.  I think we only have two more costumes to make...the dancer being one of them,  I'll work on the other at church since that's where the fabric and trim is currently.

2 comments:

  1. You might that if you put the tissue pattern piece on top of the wrapping paper, you can then trace the pattern lines with a sharpie… the ink should travel through the tissue without tearing. It does of course mark on the tissue. Sometimes it seems like making new would be less work than refashioned garments…thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could...but exam table paper is cheap and works great for tracing. I was just blown away by how much easier it was to come up with the pattern with the grid right there on the paper. And a new garment would have been easier, lol, but I needed to match it to the top from the same fabric. I would have had to make two garments, so I opted to do the reconstruction. It probably was six of one and half a dozen of the other, but the fabric was the right shade so ...ya do what ya gotta do.

      Delete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)