Thursday, August 17, 2006

Ominous Words: "I was in a hurry..."

And I was cutting late at night, crawling around on the floor instead of at the table, which was occupied by homework-doing offspring...

When I sewed my lavendar shrug together, I discovered that one of the back pieces is 1/2" shorter than the rest of the top.

The fabric was cut slightly unevenly, and I apparently failed to check to make sure that there were two layers of fabric under my pattern at the bottom edge. Hurry, yada yada yada...

So basically I have one piece with no hem allowance.

Well, I thought I'd just do a balanced 3-thread serger finish; all I needed was some lavendar wooly nylon.

Hancock's does not have lavendar wooly nylon. I scrounged the knitting yarn, looking for something the right color. Nada. Oh...and I'd forgotten my fabric swatch so I could match. Well, I pulled a spool of Metrosene thread that was the color I was using for constructing the thing to match.

I finally found some perle cotton embroidery thread that looked like a good match and I thought would be a nice edge...only to discover when I actually put the thread with dthe fabric that the embroidery threak was waaaayyyyy too pink. Won't work.

So now I'm stuck. Do I venture back out into the world of maybe and hunt at some of the sewing machine dealers for wooly nylon the right color? Or do I go back to start and come up with something else?

Right now, I'm leaning towards a return to start...and just trimming the other back piece to match the short one. So my shrug will be 1/2" shorter in back than the pattern intended...it's a shug. I've about decided 1/2" on a shrug will just not matter a whole lot. ;)

Man, I wish I'd noticed that little problem when I cut the thing out to begin with! It would've been so easy to fix at that point...

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I live in Podunksville and any thread or fabric worth the effort is at least 20 minutes away. I'd resort to the 1/2" too short shrug, knowing that the possibility of finding the right thread type and color would be slim. Besides, it's a *shrug*!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)