Thursday, June 15, 2006

"Mom, How Long 'til it's Done?"

One of the most recent fabric aquisitions was a piece of swimsuit lycra blend from Hancock's. My last swimsuit purchase...a suit from Lands' End that has never been worn in the 3.5 years since I bought it on clearance...was not a fitting success. I discovered that, yes, I really do need more support than a shelf bra provides, and this style had DARTS at the bustline, which made very prominent points, even when lying in the drawer. Not an attractive look. But, I'd pulled the little paper strip off and threw them in the drawer; I'd gotten suits from LE before and knew it would fit; it was October and I didn't pull it out and try it on until the following spring. I possibly could've sent it back, but since it had been, oh, six months since I'd purchased it I thought I'd just fix the darts and wear it anyway. So it laid in the drawer another 3 months or so. When I finally pulled it out, I discovered that the darts had been trimmed away; I couldn't just unstitch them and ease it back into the seam, which I'd planned. Grumble. Well, we only were going to swim in my in-law's pool anyway, and I didn't have time to do anything about a new suit, so I took it when we went home for the summer visit. But it was chilly in northern Indiana and I never even got in the pool. Last year, we didn't go home. Hence the royal blue suit has never been worn.

So, anyway, I decided I'd give up on that one and make one for myself...so off to Hancock's when the swimwear lycra was on sale a couple of weeks ago. I got a pretty black floral print, and enough to make a suit for DD2 from it, since her's was getting embarrassingly small on her at the end of last summer.

Now I'm hearing on an almost daily basis 'When will you finish my suit? How much longer will it take?'

I traced the patterns...hers and mine...on Monday but haven't even cut anything out yet. Guess what's next up on the sewing queue ;).

Incidently, I didn't realize it at the time, but when I pulled the suit patterns out I couldn't find the one I intended to make for DD that I had made for her older sister, so I pulled out another one that I'd picked up somewhere along the way. As I was tracing them, I realized both Kwik Sew patterns were for racer-back tank suits.

So we'll have matching suits. Fortunately, she's still young enough that she's not going to cringe over it. I hope... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)