Saturday, April 08, 2006

Saturday Snapshot

In the CD player: Scott Brenner, "The Divine Whisperer"

On the bookstand: The End of the Third Age, J.R.R. Tolkein. The fourth book in Christopher Tolkein's examination of the writing of the Lord of the Rings. I started the series ages and ages ago, but life got in the way. I finally got back to it last week, finished the third book and am now digging into the final bit of the story of the story.

On the Sewing Table:I unstitched the underarms of the grey blouse sleeves; I'm going to have to play with them to get them truly wearable. So, I decided to swap the SWAP tops...I will use my royal blue slinky twinset as one of the items. Now, I only need photographs and a short descriptive blurb and it's on to other sewing projects.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I've been on Sewing World for quite a while (4 years, maybe?) so I was there when Julie Culshaw of Timmel came up with the idea for the first SWAP competition 2 years ago...we all posted on the SW thread about our SWAPs. I didn't finish on time that year, but I did participate last year and finished on time. I think I'm going to make it this time, too...just gotta get the pictures and the commentary! This year's contest opened on Dec. 1, but I didn't start sewing for it until after Christmas (and the costuming frenzy). It's been quite a challenge to think in terms of 11 garments that all coordinate, and I think I've done a little better at that each time.
    Re the neckline: have you got a RTW top with the right neckline? Can you trace the neckline curve from that and add a seam allowance and a facing? Or you could do a muslin and keep trimming until you find the neckline you like and use that (I did that on one dress in which the neckline was really too tight to go over my head...I just kept trimming it out until I liked it). Or, you could catch a pattern sale at JoAnn's and pick up a simple pattern when they're cheap. One more possibility...do you have a top or blouse pattern with the neckline that you like? You can trace that neckline onto your dress pattern and use that.

    Sorry it took so long to answer; we had an all-day conference at church and I wasn't home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, just in case you didn't see this, Mini posted a reply to your query on Sewing World - Click Here. I'll check your blogger for progress ;). Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)