Monday, August 04, 2008

Costume Maintenance '08 Day 2: Bang!

My backup Kenmore sewing machine has a carrying case.

That is, it has a base that screws onto the bottom of the machine, and a plastic cover that latches w/plastic tabs on the side. My Sweet Baboo has warned me of the folly of actually carrying the machine by the handle on the top of the cover, with just those flimsy latches holding the machine to the cover. But, I figured as long as I was careful, it was ok.

You know what happened, don't you?

Halfway from the Caravan to the door at church, the bottom came off. The machine hit the pavement, and pieces went flying. Fortunately, this is a METAL machine, so I scooped up the popped covers and the bobbins and the whatnot that came out of the accessory box that was inside and managed to get everything back together.

One thread guide was bent and easily fixed, and the filament in the light bulb apparently broke. But other than that, it seems to be functioning well...if a little sluggish.

Sigh. I'll just have to watch it for further signs of injury...and I think I'll run it in to the shop for a check up when we're done at church.

4 comments:

  1. I was just looking at those cases on the Sears web site--about 5 minutes ago--and wondering if I should buy one. I'm glad I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in all fairness, this is the first time in about 27 years that it failed...and I actually had a fleeting thought to check the latches before I picked it up but didn't! I'm *assuming* one of the latches wasn't swung all the way around....
    Still, I felt kinda sick for just a minute, until I saw that all the pieces lying about were either loose in the case or intended to come off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, BreakDown Monday? (just came here from Summerset's blog) Glad there's only minor $ involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately, my breakdown wasn't nearly as near-miss as Summerset's! She had a close call! This was just...annoying. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)