Tuesday, August 28, 2007

More Tweaking needed....

Well, the Personal Queue project that's currently going through the machines is the black stretch twill modified Daphne pants. I wore my first pair of modified Daphnes to the Atlanta Expo this year and Cynthia Guffey pinned out a flat seat adjustment for me; I was kinda anxious to get them done early on, hoping to have a Perfect Fitting Pants pattern to compare others to.

Well, I think I lost something in the translation from pinned up to written down to steeping for 4 months to pattern adjustments. There are still some drapey things going on in the back, and the seat feels just a hair snug across the cheeks. I'm tipping the scales at two pounds less now than I did in Atlanta, so that's not the issue.

I'd post a photo, but...black fabric and all...it'd be impossible to see anything. I barely can make it out in the rather dim light of the full-length mirror location. Maybe I'll try to get an out-in-the-daylight picture and see if that is any better.

Don't get me wrong, these pants are definitely wearable (the lycra content ensures that). In fact, they're better than any RTW pants I've purchased in the last ?? years (hm....not counting jeans, I think I've only purchased ONE pair of RTW pants in the last ?? years). In times past I'd've been delighted with them, but now, after reading/learning/watching/etc, I want PERFECT. I make 'em, I should be able to get PERFECT...or at least doggone close.

I need to go back and re-read all my pants fitting notes from the Expos past.

Hey! Website idea! Wouldn't it be cool to have a site where we could post,say, 'pants: bias drape in back thigh' into a search box, and the result would be photos of various types of bias drapiness, a little explanation of what causes said drapiness, and the pattern fix for it? Hmmm.... ;)

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! I've been working on fitting pants, well, actually they're bermudas, because I wanted to start with less fabric (waste) than necessary. It would be wonderful to have a quick internet reference where you pick the wrinkles that match your's, read the fix-it notes, and voila the perfect pair of pants - a sewers dream. I believe that the Minott Method book does reference wrinkle lines this way. That's my next step to fitting pants. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Novel idea - very time consuming, but worth the effort!

    Good luck on those pants, because once you hit fit perfection you will never look back!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)