Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Haulin' it Home

Today is my last work day at church...I need to be out of the room for a class that meets in there tonight. Six Master's Commission students have brought in fabric and I'm giving them the priority in sewing; my goal at the moment is to get all the 'extra pieces' (sashes, vests, head drapes, etc) finished so that I can just send the basic robes out with other volunteers (hello? other volunteers?). All I have left to finish up in that category are 2 and a half guy's vests, which I think I can do today.

I believe I have all the main garments for our pre-school ministry cut out except for one final cream-colored men's robe, which is to be worn by a Jesus character, a wise man, or a king, depending upon what the 'extras' are. The 'extras' have been kind of hit-and-miss, as it's been difficult for the designated costume fabric buying person to procure enough of the same fabrics to make three of each. So we've decided to not buy any more fabric until I/we (hello? We?) make what we've already been given...which is a pretty sizeable batch of stuff.

But the first thing I did when I went in yesterday was to finish up the last bit of the mending that I'd pulled. I feel pretty good about the condition of the Bible costumes now...we shouldn't have any unpleasant surprises about ripped out seams. I still need to go back and add neckline tabs and snaps to a LOT of those costumes, which are currently being closed w/a safety pin, but that'll be a project for another day. (not to imply there hasn't been help...but by-and-large my usual crew has been pretty quiet. This project must've hit everyone's vacation time or uber busy time or something)

No comments:

Post a Comment