Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I know that smell....

So, I'm on, like, a cutting frenzy this week (more on that tomorrow). You can check out the list of WIPs on the side to see what I've been up to.

But I'm also engaging in the eternal pursuit to have the budget and the laundry caught up(I'm sure one of those things was the inspiration for the Sisyphus myth). So several pieces of recent fabric acquisitions have been moving through the laundry...some more than once...so they'll be all needle-ready by the next cutting marathon. One of those pieces was the black and white micro-houndstooth remnant (the one that was sold by the pound) that I picked up at Baer fabrics. I thought it was a poly-rayon-lycra and washed it accordingly. It went through with several other pieces of 'wash cold/delicate cycle' things. Imagine my surprise when I opened the washer and was confronted with a very strong...kinda familiar...odor. I pulled each thing from the washer to see if it was causing the odor, all the while trying to identify that smell. Just as I was pulling the houndstooth out, I remembered.

It's the smell of wet wool.

That 'poly-rayon-lycra' fabric was a WOOL-lycra blend. I dried it on low and ironed it out...it's beautiful! And still cheap...at under $4/yd, it would be ok to use as a (hopefully) wearable muslin from a financial standpoint. But now I'm thinking I like it waaaayyy too much to use as a muslin. I'm gonna have to think about this one. (And hence the stash, if you know what I mean). I'm actually starting to hear a faint whisper from the fabric that it wants to be the Galaxy Dress. There is enough fabric, but I don't have that pattern...yet....

I wonder what that fabric was actually priced at full retail...

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. . . not the best way to determine fiber content, but nonetheless, I think you got a really lovely bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now that's what I call a welcome laundry surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love the fabrics by the pound in the bargain room at Baer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I'd had about an hour to dig through those bins...especially now that I know that Nice Stuff is lurking there-in! Maybe another day.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)