I took the sleeves off of PJ's green dress, let the seams in the sleeve/ drapey over sleeve out about 3/8" or so, took the trim off the upper sleeve and put new trim on while s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the fabric. After I had the new piece on, I compared it to the trim I'd removed and found that I'd added about 1 1/2" to the bicep area. So I was reasonably hopeful that that would fix the problem and I put the sleeves back in.
Truth is, I did each sleeve separately...since the notches had been trimmed off, I wasn't sure I wouldn't mix up the sleeves and put the left sleeve on the right armsceye. By doing one, then doing the other, that was not a problem, although it took longer.
But I ran the dress down to church and PJ put it on and pronounced it 'So much better!'. So it is finished.
Then, I stood in PJ's office and had a lovely conversation with PJ and her hubby Pastor Dave, first about medieval history but ultimately about how they ended up in children's ministry. If I hadn't messed up...er, um, forgot to stretch the sleeves, I'd've missed out on that. And it's a wonderful testimony of God's grace and patience.
So anyway, I got blessed! Then I came home and dove into Must Sew Project 4, the details of which I will share Monday...partly because I'm still sorta making it up as I go.