Saturday, August 07, 2021

Now...what do I do with The Wonky Dress?

 


Well...here's ONE picture from the wedding...at this point, I'm starting to think that's all I'll have.  You can kinda see the 'Aunt Lena Farm Wife Frock' fit to the upper chest in this picture, but the thing that I want to call out is the little flower on my left shoulder.  I didn't think about the fragility of the fabric when the corsage was pinned on...but when I pulled the dress out of the laundry and saw all the picks and fuzzies I realized, oh, that was not a good thing.


Here's a close-up; if you click to enlarge you can see the damage done by just the abrasion from the leaf on the corsage.  Now, granted it's not so obvious ...you gotta be looking at the right spot to see it...but it is a sad mess.

And this was not cheap fabric...$15/ yard plus shipping made it about $75 in fabric alone.  I have to keep reminding myself that trying to purchase a rayon crepe ready-to-wear dress in the right colors would have been an even bigger frustration...

I am thinking about cutting it off just above the waist and making a skirt out of the bottom bit.  I still love the colors in it...and I would kinda like to remake the pattern in fabric cut on the correct grain, just to tweak it to fit...to prove I can, but also to have a nice dress to wear, lol.

Like I have nothing else to do.

I have a couple of items in the 'almost finished' queue; I'll have new sewing to talk about soon!

5 comments:

  1. Why not make a fabric corsage from the remnants to permanently cover the damage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A washable rayon dress
    in colors you love
    Definitely worth going the extra mile for it
    Maybe do what my mother would do. She had certain broaches she wore on certain dresses. Reinforce the back of the area and treat yourself to a pin or two that you love to wear on that dress

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the problem were just the fuzzy damage on the shoulder, I might try a fix. But that really just illustrates how crazy fragile this fabric is; it snags on ANYTHING. I could cover this up but the next time I wear it it will snag up somewhere else. And then there's the wonkiness of the dress itself...I might actually wear it more as a skirt. Not going to do anything to it for a while, though...I'll let it percolate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely in the pictures.
    No suggestions re fragile fabric, as I tend to be hard on my clothes and would save it for best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look lovely in the dress. Love the huge smile on your face and the beautiful bride. Though I too have sewn and worn garments that I was not happy with, so I know what that is like.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)