Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Spirit of Christmas Past



Not too long after I got married, my maternal grandmother went through a doll making phase.  Among others, she made a Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy set that she kept.  After she died in 2001, Ann and Andy went to live with my aunt, who lives in a small house and she recently decided that the dolls needed to go to another home.  They were sitting on my mom's sun room sofa when we arrived, and before the evening was over, Mom asked if would like them.


With the traditional sentiment embroidered by my Grandma herself on both of the dolls...how could I not?

It was like bringing home hugs from Grandma. I'm not sure where I'll end up putting them, and the clothes could use a bit of freshening, but just seeing them makes me smile a sunshower sort of smile.

3 comments:

  1. Those dolls are very special indeed. I would be tempted to put them on my bed each morning when I make it. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about on top of the bookcase headboard...but there's a chance we may be getting new bedroom furniture soon, so I don't know how long I'll actually have a bookcase headboard...

    I actually have several Raggedy Ann dolls about the house now; I'm wondering if I should group them somehow or just keep 'em spread about. I actually had a Raggedy Ann when I was very young... I slept with her every night, until I had a nightmare that involved RA and I quit. Now I really wish I knew what happened to her. Probably fell apart in the toy box...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so special ~ I would defs be displaying them around your home. The detail your Grandmother put into these is beautiful ... J

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)