Friday, July 08, 2011

You know it's time to put away the Credit card when...

The fabric that arrives is less than you expected.

Twice in a row.

The heavy satin that was represented as charmeuse was disappointing but still usable...possibly, anyway.
But one of the pieces that arrived yesterday in a box from one of my favorite online vendors was so horrid that I've already made inquiries about sending it back.




It's the piece on the far left. The other three are pretty much what I expected; a turquoise/orange rayon/lycra knit for a top for The Flute Player, black and red swimwear knit for, well, a swimsuit, and a sueded poly/lycra knit that I just plan to have some fun with.

But the stripe. Oh, my.

It's supposed to be 50% Rayon/46% Polyester/4% Lycra.

I am not believing the Lycra part, at least.

It's flimsy...I can see the grid on my cutting mat even through the red stripe.

It feels horrid...the dye almost feels painted on, and it cracks when stretched.

And, btw, once stretched...it stays. No recovery.

Ick.

So I fired off the inquiry last night. Still haven't heard back; I'm wondering if they may be swamped w/similar inquiries, as there were several colorways of this fabric on the website.

Most of the time, my internet fabric purchases are delightful. But every once in a while, there's a dud...and I think I've had at least one dud from every vendor I've purchased from. This one was just the worst.

I have one more order from Fabric Mart outstanding; I hit that 'sale plus facebook coupon' and used it for some silk charmeuse...I'm still determined to have some silk pajamas. This time I ordered 6 yards of goods that's supposed to be 54" wide...I should have PLENTY. ;-).

HOWever, I do believe that will be it on fabric acquisition for a while. I need to sew what I've got. ;-)

ETA: I just realize the fabric that prompted the whole order, blue silk chiffon w/a spatter paint design, was somehow not in that picture! Ah, well, you'll see it soon enough...it's for next month's choir wardrobe. ;-)

And I've been finishing up the baptism robes a bit here and there...It only takes me about 20 minutes to do the side seams and hems (and that's including the pressing and time out to pet the sewing assistant, who has to come and hang out when I'm sewing). I should finish those up and get them off my conscience soon.

3 comments:

  1. I got some of the brown sueded knit too! I also got a questionable piece from them in my last order as well. It's suppoed to be a poly knit, but it feels like a lycra/rubber mix. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Lisa. I had a couple duds in a row from one of my favorite vendors and the last time I was very disappointed in their customer service. I unsubscribed from their emails and it has been a very good thing for my budget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't complain about customer service in this case; I got an email saying they would refund the cost of the fabric w/out even mentioning me sending it back. I inquired further, but, just on the surface, it looks like they're taking my word for it.

    If I don't send it back, I've no idea what I will do with it. May donate it. Or wash it and see if any of the 'stiff icky' goes away. But nothing is going to give it the stretch it should have.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)