Monday, December 01, 2008

Refashioning Exercise

The Flute Player has a required outfit (I can't really say 'uniform' -- it isn't) to wear for concerts...black dress pants and a tuxedo shirt. To this outfit are added a red bow tie and cummerbund, which belong to the school.

The band requirements expressly prohibit substituting a regular dress shirt for the tuxedo shirt.

So...who knows where you can obtain a tuxedo style shirt in a girls size 14?

The teacher suggested we try the local formalwear shops. I shudder to think what such a thing would cost there.

So, I cut the '40% off any one regularly priced item' coupon from the Hobby Lobby ad and got myself over there and purchased the smallest size they had.


Um, no.

The shoulders and upper chest are too big on ME, for crying out loud!

But, having invested ten bucks in this shirt, I intend to make it work.

The cuffs have been removed, the underarm seam undone, and the sleeves taken off. Now all I need to do is cut down the upper part of the shirt and reshape the shoulder cap on the sleeves and put it back together.

Have I ever mentioned before how not fun this kind of sewing is????

But at least I can do it. And it won't be a bad shirt for ten bucks and a little time.

Assuming, of course, that I don't mess it up...

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! At least if it doesn't work, you have the ability to make one (even better) from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I really don't like that type of sewing either. Good luck, I know you will do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the finished shirt will be wonderful. Aren't you glad you sew? Imagine the poor Mums who've had to pay exorbitant prices for ill-fitting shirts!

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)