Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Bamboo Bamboo

Ok, over the weekend I had to make an emergency notions run to Hancock's...I took my '40% off the regular price of any one fabric cut' coupon with me and actually bought another piece of fabric; I'm justifying this one because 1) it's not something I can guarantee I'll find again and 2) I want to encourage The Powers That Be at Hancock's to carry more fabric of this quality.


I got 1 3/4 yards of dark brown (organic, no less) bamboo/lycra knit. It's very, very soft...like a rayon, or even some acrylics. I'm almost afraid it's so soft it will be uber clingy, but maybe not. I thought I'd wash it and make it right up into a turtleneck top, but I discovered that, in a rare moment of domestic efficiency, I'd already washed the load it should go in. So it's got to wait for the next time the brown/green/grey load comes up. And, the more I think about it, I believe that it's wide enough that I could get a twinset from that piece of fabric.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get it made up fairly soon...into something...and I'll report back on what I think of the fabric after I'm done ;)

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm, wash a swatch first? I love bamboo knits and I think it shrinks a bit but when it comes from Hancocks then I am reminded of the SG discussion just had about washing the knits first and it going off grain...I'd hate to see thathappen with this piece...did I tell you how much I love bamboo knits??? Can hardly wait to see it made up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah...I don't like high maintenance clothes, and if it's going to go bad in the wash, I'd rather know now than after it *accidently* makes a trip through the washer. So I'm going to be bold and wash the whole thing. ;)

    I've never had any bamboo knit; I'm curious to see how this sews and wears. Where have you found bamboo knits before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get samples of new fabrics because I do commercial embroidery. Always something to sell! And I've bought some...where??? Eeesch, the first thing to go is the mind...but I saw where Lucy's Fabrics on ebay had some (among other great finds) http://stores.ebay.com/Lucys-Fashion-Fabrics-and-Trims_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay clue me in, what is a bamboo knit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, it's fabric made from the fiber of the bamboo plant. I've seen knit bedsheets at Target made from bamboo, which are touted as being fabulously comfortable, but I haven't encountered anything wearable from it yet. Hancock's just began to carry a little of it...it'll be interesting to see how it is to work with and wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This weekend at Joanns the organic fabric is on sale. I couldnt justify buying any so I havent yet.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)