I fully planned to make my dress last, after everything else was done, because I figured that if I had to wear a dress hanging in the closet already the world wouldn't end.
However, the tulle that the Princess had purchased to make her veil has been determined to be too yellow, and I've placed an order for some 'light ivory' tulle from fabricdotcom that will hopefully match her creamy white dress better.
But, it's a holiday weekend, and even with FdotC's typically speedy delivery, it'll be the end of the week before it gets here.
So...I figured I'd start on my dress.
I pulled down the Vogue Kay Unger dress pattern that I'd had pinned to my bulletin board for ages and found that I just didn't have the oomph to do it. I wanted something simpler.
However, I had this picture torn from a Coldwater Creek catalog (who knows HOW long ago) also pinned to the bulletin board:
And it looks Very Simple...especially as I have Butterick 3843 in my stash, which includes a sleeveless top that is basically just the top 2/3 of that dress.
So I've pulled that out, traced it off, and added length to make it 22" long from the waist. I traced a larger size than my heart wanted to trace, and my gut tells
me it will be too big, but it is a VERY slim style and I definitely
wanted room to move, sit and breath. So I pursed my lips and went with the larger size. The first alteration I made was to lower the bust point, which is just a requirement, and then I redesigned the armhole, following Alexandra's example.
Now to make up the muslin and see how much I need to adjust before cutting the Good Stuff...