Ok, item number one on the denim cotton knit...
I decided to go with McCall's 6844, the popular cardigan from a few years back. I'd made the long straight version and the short peplum version with some success; I'd done a cheater FBA on it just by adding a bit of length to the front but, um, well, the scales have crept up again so I decided I'd do a real FBA, since I was going to do the short, straight version and I didn't want to mess with the shaping on the bottom.
And, you know, FBA's are not that tough. I did, however, mark the bust point at 1.5" below the pattern marking because, well, that's what I do routinely on McVoguerick patterns.
Or at least on Vogue and Butterick. Maybe I need to rethink McCalls.
After I got the jacket assembled to the hems, I tried it on.
Now, mind you, I'd done the 'hold it up and check' thing several times and was expecting a very nice fit. But...well, obviously I wasn't holding it up at the right spot.
Which is a good 2" below my full bust.
Now, I thought about wearing it as is, on the assumption that 90% of the folks I encountered would just register the cardi as being slightly frumpy. But, you know, I think I can rotate the dart up a bit. Might not fix it entirely, because, well, you know, fabric was added at what I thought would be the place it was needed, but at least it will be in the right line.
But as it turned out, black is allowed as a base color this month, along with the denim and mustard gold, so I'm not in quite the wardrobe dilemma I thought I was in. Generally, we don't wear black in October because it looks so Halloweeny, but this year we had a change. So I wore black with my jeans and some gold jewelry and I was ok.
So I'm doing some frog stitching (rip-it, rip-it) today and I'll resew the darts and have another go later.