Friday, July 20, 2018

Inspired by....

Wow, two garments in one month!  (hashtag sarcasm).  But still...sewing a bit at a time is better than not sewing at all, LOL.

This was a sudden inspiration.  I don't follow a lot of fashion blogs...it just seems that so many are hung up on the latest latest and designer labels and...I don't know.  Just seems kinda silly to me.  And expensive.  BUT...of the two or three that I do follow, my favorite, by far, is one I'm sure is familiar to everybody.  Janice Riggs 'Vivienne Files' is a practical style blog.  Sure, she throws in some expensive things (I will never own a Hermes scarf. Ever.  $60 is my top scarf allowance, and I would have to ABSOLUTELY BE SMITTEN with a scarf to pay that much for it. But whatever), but a lot of the stuff she uses comes from places like Lands' End and Eddie Bauer.

But, in her recent series, she posted a top that caught my eye.  It's Eileen Fisher, and so out of my price range, but....

So simple, so elegant.

And it's just a slightly modified Sewing Workshop Eureka Top:

Substitute a facing for the neck band, leave the sleeve bands uncuffed and lengthen it just a hair (it runs short on me) and...

Wouldn't you know, I had some white on black stripe knit in the stash.  A little narrower than the stripe on the EF top, but, hey, it's inspired by, right?


It's funny...I've made this top 3 times before and this one feels really big.  Guessing it's the extra length. But if I want to wear it in choir (and next month is gray scale...black,white, gray), it has to pass the 'praise check'...that is, it can't hike up past my waistband if I raise both arms.  So I needed the length.

If I wear it to work next week, I'll take a mirror selfie. ;-)

Oh, the fabric is a really, really nice 4-way stretch rayon/lycra that I got during one of Fabric Mart's big sales.  So the top cost a whopping $10.37 US.  About $120 US less than the organic cotton EF version.

hashtag why i sew... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)