Saturday, March 27, 2010

12 Weeks of Gorgeous Fabrics: Week 7

Ann tends to cut fabric generously; after I cut The vintagey tie-neck blouse from the green silk jacquard, I found I had a generous yard-and-a-quarter left over. Plenty for another top, so long as it was on the simple side.

I decided to try one of my Burda magazine patterns. I picked a little shell top from the August '09 issue that's gotten several favorable reviews, looks pretty cute and requires 1 1/4 yards of fabric.



I didn't have anyone around to do a photo; I'll get one in the next day or two and post a review.

However, I had some issues with the blouse that no one else mentioned. I think part of the problem is that the 42 that I traced is simply Too Big in the shoulders/upper chest, the neckline is way wider on me than other reviewers. So it kind of shifts around, which makes me feel like the flounce is lopsided.

I used the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine to hem the flounces and I'm not terribly adept at it... I think I inadvertently stretched the edges. And, since the rolled edge foot requires sewing down one flounce and up the other, the stretching is not symmetrical; one side curls under, the other curls out, which also adds to the lopsided feeling.

I changed one element; instead of using a button-and-loop on the neckline, I made bias tubes for a tie closure; I like that. I may put beads on the bottom of the ties...haven't decided yet.

This one may sit in the closet for a while before I decide if I like it or not. If I make it again, I will definitely use a smaller size above the bust.

Later that same day... I did a check and found that the left side of the flounce *did* come farther up the neckline than the right side. So I did some unpicking and refolding and now they do, technically, match. Why didn't I think to do that before I put the facing on??? *smacks head* That didn't help the asymetric draping, but at least I know the thing's even. I'm still not sure about this style; the double-folded armhole hems wing up a bit. Don't think there's anything to be done about that... I'll put details on the review, when I get it written.

1 comment:

  1. The front ruffles on current blouses can have some surprises. On another pattern, but similar to yours, after looking at my muslin on the mannequin I realized I had sewed the ruffle on upside down. The outer edge was where it should be but the top and bottom where reversed. Like you, I sighed, and began to seam-rip.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)