Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What's with the Pouf?

Has anyone else noticed that there's a lot of pouf in this season's fashion?

Pouf in the sleeves from bubble flounces(for want of a better term)at the elbow; pouf in the body from gathers or pleats at the neckline; pouf at the hips from funky pleats in otherwise straight/pencil skirts....

I don't do pouf well. I'm fairly short, rounder than I'd like and well over forty. Pouf doesn't really work for me.

However, I've looked at some fellow sewing enthusiasts who've done pouf and work it well (Erica B comes to mind). On them, it looks trendy, cute, hip, with it...and I'm none of those things. I'm afraid if I made pouf I'd just look...silly.

But, hey, I've got no room in the sewing schedule to make anything with pouf right now anyway. Maybe by the time I get caught up again it'll be over... ;)

3 comments:

  1. I just under 40, and the pouf gives me bad nightmares of some of the things I wore in the 80's. *shudder* I will never be able to wear poufed sleeves with monster shoulder pads again after that.
    I agree with you though, and even if it IS in fashion doesn't necessarily mean it is for me. If I don't feel good in it, I won't wear it. Life's too short for me to live up to fashion's dictums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on where the pouf is. I will never wear poufs in the shoulder/sleeve area again. Too much like the 80's. BTDT. Poufs around the hips are very questionable. A pouf at them hem, I can do! I made the BWOF bubble dress, wore it to work today and love it. (Besides it was popular in the 50's, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I noticed the same thing. I think the pouf sleeve thing is over done. I see it everywhere. It is going to become as ubiquitous as the empire waistline. And no, I won't wear neither. They are so overdone that I have been craving classic designs over trendy lately. I am glad you brought this up. I have been thinking of writing about the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)