Saturday, September 29, 2007

Soliciting Eyelet Opinions (again)



This is the wonderful eyelet-embroidered denim/lycra fabric I purchased on my last fabric buying day back in July. I've got 2 yards and it's 72" wide, with a bit of give due to the lycra, but it is embroidered denim and so is not really drapey.

I know it must be a jacket but I'm having a terrible time deciding which pattern to use. On the one hand, I don't want a lot of seams because I don't want to break up the eyelet pattern...on the other, it's denim, so it needs seams to fit right. I want it to be usable for a long time (it was pretty expensive), so I don't want something very trendy. At the moment, I'm considering a jeans jacket like McCall's 5191, for a twist on a classic; Loes Hinse's Bolero (longer length, maybe?) to let the fabric take center stage, but part of me would like something with a little more, um, shape.

Obviously, I can't use interfacing...it'd show through the eyelets. I do have some brown poly/lycra satin that would work for a lining, I think, if I opted to do a lined jacket.

This may be dicey, as I've heard rumors that comments has not working well on Blogger lately, but I'm curious...what would you do?

8 comments:

  1. Lisa, have you ever used my stitch and flip technique? You could use a contrast lining and make a jeans style jacket, the seams would be enclosed, and the lining would act as a sort of underlining in the process. That would eliminate most of the need for interfacing, and you could use two layers of the lining in areas like the collar that need a bit more shape.
    Make use of that un-embroidered edge, too, for things like the button placket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stitch-and-flip has been on my list of techniques to try, but I haven't gotten there yet. The first time I heard of it, it was silk organza that was being used as the 'flip' lining and I hadn't considered using something else. That's a good idea, though...
    And the tip for using the unembroidered bit for the button placket (and flap facings, etc) is great! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    I could really see this fabric with the Mccall's 5191. The fact that eyelet has a heavier texture than many fabrics it would lend itself well to this pattern. Where the Loes Hinse patterns require lots of drape this pattern requires lack of drape to get the right shape. I just bought this pattern also! I have some denim-like fabric with a print that I am going to try with it.

    By the way, I was just looking at your Bistro jacket--the one you made up in black. That is such a great style on you. You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually prefer the McCall's. I like that it has elements of the classic jean jacket, yet a less boxy shape. The flip and stitch idea is a great one. The other thing I'd do is use a higher contrast color as the lining/underlining. I'd use white and then do all the topstitching in white. Your jacket then could span at least 3 seasons, if not 4, given your climate. The white/blue combo will also match with many other pieces you wear with it - any color skirt, top or dress would look great. You could wear an entire white ensemble in the summer with the only blue being the denim - wouldn't that look sophisticated?

    Yikes. I went crazy, and it's not even *my* jacket! Sorry! Take or leave it - it's only an opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's looking like the Jeans Jacket is going to be the runaway favorite here. It's interesting; when I checked my email I found one from Coldwater Creek featuring this jacket. So far as I can tell, the only differences between it and the McCall's pattern is: 1) No cuffs on the CWC sleeves, 2)an extra panel in the front of the CWC jacket and 3) a narrow hem on the CWC jacket vs what appears to be a standard 1 1/4" hem on the McCall's. But the overall silhouette is virtually the same.

    Sigh. I may have to trace another pattern and do a quick mock up just to make sure that McCall's jacket works for me.

    (And decide if I'm brave enough to throw in a third color...maybe I'll stitch up a little sample of the denim on white w/white topstitching, just to see...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I also would really love to see this fab fabric in that McCall's pattern. Can't wait to see it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty fabric. I like the idea of the McCall's pattern. Let us know what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm, I like the Loes Hinse pattern. I think it would look great on you.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)