Sunday, May 24, 2015

Costuming progress...

My Sweet Babboo and I had some tasks that pulled us out of choir today, so instead of a choir post it's an update on the steam-punk-ish costume...

I made the tweaks to the jacket pattern, cut out the jacket, the interfacing and the lining.  I put the interfacing on and sewed up the back lining and sewed the front facing to the side front lining.

Then I had a little pause while I stopped and looked at the way the pattern guide (oh, yeah, it turned up under a cutting board) instructed to bag the lining.

Um.

The problem is that there is no back facing in the pattern...and to do a kinda traditional collar treatment, in which the upper collar is sewn to the facing and the undercollar is sewn to the jacket and the facing assembly is sewn to the jacket so that the seam allowances are all pressed open...the facing is bagged on in a very unusual way that results in the sleeve lining  being hand sewn down around the shoulder.

Costuming here.  I don't have time to do a bunch of hand sewing.

So I repeated one of my favorite Gorgeous Things quotes, 'It's costuming, not couture' and sewed up the collar, which I will attach like a camp shirt collar, and I'll bag the lining to the seam in a quick and dirty sew-the-lining-to-the-neckline fashion.  My wool is very lightweight, so I think I can get away with it.

If I sew this pattern again...and I rather expect to either sew it again or use it to modify other jackets...I will draft a back facing so bagging the lining can be done right.  I'd've done it for this jacket but I already had the back lining put together.

I've also cut out the skirt...Folkwear's Walking Skirt ; I'm using the street length view and I've ditched the period-correct placket opening for a zipper.  Costuming.

So far that's what I've got.  If I get that much put together I'll at least have something.  I've got a couple more things I'd like to do, but I'm going to see where I am when those two pieces are finished.

Rain is forecast for the next two days, so I should get some sewing time...

10 comments:

  1. Great job on getting the Steampunk look going! Love the peplum! My family goes to the Chicago Comics & Entertainment Convention every year. There is sooo much steampunk there! My son & hubs dressed up this year (Dr. Who #10 & Hellboy). I was supposed to go in a steampunk style, but it took me 3 hrs to do my hubby's makeup & I was exhausted after that! I, being Mom, bought everything for everyone's outfits too. My son & hubs were getting pics taken w/people constantly. I just carried stuff (on a scooter-I had a broken ankle). This year, I already bought patterns on sale for skirts, shirts, & corsets! I'm not an expert sewer, but trying to learn. (I quilt & mend a lot!) when I saw what you were doing, I just had to comment! If you need SP pointers, let me know! I even made my own jewelry to wear. Oh well! I look forward to seeing how yours turns out! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is not nearly con-level serious. More for atmosphere than anything. If I get the jacket and the skirt done, and a hat kinda primped up, it will be sufficient, although I've got a little more I'd like to do if I have time.

      And why is it always Mom's job to carry stuff?? lol! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad someone else understands what us mom's do for our families! ;)
      I hope I didn't do my first post twice. If so, please just delete one. Sorry!
      If you need ideas for your hat, check out Etsy.com. Top hats are a big thing. So are fascinator hats. You could also get a mini top hat, put it on a headband or hair clip & decorate that! Just remember, bronze, gears, watches, feathers, keys, goggles (you can put them on a hat), & cameos! I bought a great necklace pretty cheap from Ballade on Etsy. One side cameo, one is a watch, & only $10! I'd wear it w/regular clothes if need be!

      Delete
  2. I've borrowed a top hat from the costume shop at church; I can decorate it so long as I don't do anything permanent to it. I have some brown tulle that I will put on it in some way; if I have time I'll add some gears and possibly a pocket calculator, since my 'character' is The Record Keeper. It all depends on how quickly I get the basic pieces made; the event starts June 7, so I'm running out of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be cute if you wrap the brown tulle around the band of the hat & either tie it or leave a little hang down the back. You could just pin it on to the hat & cover that

      Delete
    2. With a few little flowers or something. You could also put a little pencil (like a mini-gulf pencil) in the tulle on the side. If you found a little notebook, a few pages of that might be cute too! So much you can do! Show pictures when you finish something! I'd love to see them!

      Delete
    3. That's more or less what I was thinking; I've got some black feathers around that I can use, too. It just depends on how much time I have to play with it after I get the basic costume finished.

      Working on the jacket lining at the moment...

      Delete
    4. ...er, that is, working on installing the jacket lining at the moment...;-)

      Delete
  3. Great! How long have you been sewing? I'm very much a beginner when it comes to clothes. I've done pillows, purses, bags, etc. I'm going to try to make a peasant blouse soon & see how that goes. I hope I can do it! I bet you have a really high-end sewing machine. I've thought about getting a better one (would love to have one that cuts my thread), but can't justify it yet. ;)

    If you want to send along any pics, here's my email: vshaw1118@yahoo.com. Good luck! I'm painting a flower pot w/a smiling jalepeno on it today. Going to put a plant in it for my son's trumpet teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I've been sewing since I was 10, which is, um, a really, really long time ago. Been making most of my wardrobe since I was in high school, which was a really long time ago. I've done costuming for church and my kids' high school plays, so this is not that much of a stretch from what I've done in the past (you can click on links on the link cloud on the sidebar if you want to see some of that; you may have to scroll down a bit to find it)

      And my sewing machine is a pretty basic Janome. I don't need all the fancy stitches...just something that will do a good straight stitch and a decent buttonhole.

      I hope you get your peasant blouse done! There are some good online resources for sewing...patternreview.com and artisansquare.com are good places to find inspiration and advice!

      Delete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)