My Sweet Babboo and I had some tasks that pulled us out of choir today, so instead of a choir post it's an update on the steam-punk-ish costume...
I made the tweaks to the jacket pattern, cut out the jacket, the interfacing and the lining. I put the interfacing on and sewed up the back lining and sewed the front facing to the side front lining.
Then I had a little pause while I stopped and looked at the way the pattern guide (oh, yeah, it turned up under a cutting board) instructed to bag the lining.
The problem is that there is no back facing in the pattern...and to do a kinda traditional collar treatment, in which the upper collar is sewn to the facing and the undercollar is sewn to the jacket and the facing assembly is sewn to the jacket so that the seam allowances are all pressed open...the facing is bagged on in a very unusual way that results in the sleeve lining being hand sewn down around the shoulder.
Costuming here. I don't have time to do a bunch of hand sewing.
So I repeated one of my favorite Gorgeous Things quotes, 'It's costuming, not couture' and sewed up the collar, which I will attach like a camp shirt collar, and I'll bag the lining to the seam in a quick and dirty sew-the-lining-to-the-neckline fashion. My wool is very lightweight, so I think I can get away with it.
If I sew this pattern again...and I rather expect to either sew it again or use it to modify other jackets...I will draft a back facing so bagging the lining can be done right. I'd've done it for this jacket but I already had the back lining put together.
I've also cut out the skirt...Folkwear's Walking Skirt ; I'm using the street length view and I've ditched the period-correct placket opening for a zipper. Costuming.
So far that's what I've got. If I get that much put together I'll at least have something. I've got a couple more things I'd like to do, but I'm going to see where I am when those two pieces are finished.
Rain is forecast for the next two days, so I should get some sewing time...