Monday, September 01, 2014
Two more in the 'done' column...
Very careful, in fact, because the fabric was flawed...somehow it was knitted tighter on one side than the other in a couple of areas; the black stripes were quite noticeably narrower as they approached that side and the fabric was rather puckery in places.
So I decided to use a single layer layout, so I could make sure the stripes were square all the way across. Which meant I needed whole pattern pieces for the front and the back. I'd been putting off making those, because I was going to have to tape things up and, well, it was going to be something of a nuisance.
But then I happened to think of the rolls of Swedish tracing paper I'd bought at the Expo last spring...I could fold it, then trace the front and back on the folds and cut out a whole front and a whole back.
And, with a whole pattern...I decided I could do the long-pondered alteration for my asymmetric shoulders and cut the left shoulder a half inch narrower.
Don't have a photo yet, but that left shoulder is spot on.
And the stripes are reasonably straight. ;-)
I made the Jalie Twinset T again, and Simplicity 2603 . I decided to cut the neckline bands on the cross grain for the Simplicity top, for accent, so I interfaced both the band and the band facing to stabilize it. Still had a little distortion, but it was minimal and I don't think anyone but me will really notice it.
I'm so pleased with the shoulders on these that I might use those whole-piece patterns and a single-layer layout even if I don't have to match anything...