Saturday, March 29, 2014

Trench Coat...a little bit at a time...

Back to the 20 minute-at-a stretch sewing.  Takes forever, but at least there is some progress.

I started with the little bits...the collar, the belt, the pocket flaps, the shoulder and sleeve bands, etc.  Got them done to the topstitiching.

I'd decided to use a dark charcoal for my topstitiching; it matched the buttons and I thought that would make a nice detail.

The first item to be topstiched after I changed out the thread was the back shield.

Folks, once that thread was on the elephant gray coat it looked blue.

I guess it's just the contrast.  Away from the coat fabric, it looks dark gray.

Laid on it...it looks navy blue.

Weird.

So I've unpicked that topstiching and will redo it.  I considered just using black, but the buttons are a swirly gray, so I nixed the black (now I'm wishing I'd just gotten black buttons). 

I guess I'll just use the matching thread to topstitch.  Won't be quite as striking, but, given the way things are going here, maybe less contrast will be a good thing...

2 comments:

  1. Frustrating how colours throw off different hues next to each other! Good idea to keep at the 20 minute routine ~ can't wait to see the finished coat ... soon ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'soon' being a relative term! lol...considering that the fabric was purchased more than 5 years ago, anytime in the next year would be 'soon'... ;-)

      Delete