Saturday, November 26, 2011
One for the 'Donate' Bag
First and foremost, I dropped the empire seam too much. I think I assumed the front raglan seam and the collar would join at the shoulder and used that for the basis of how much I dropped that seam; it's about an inch too low, which is about how much that seam intersection is offset from my actual shoulder. I'm not sure why I made that assumption, but it did throw that seam off way too much. The print does hide it, though, and if it were not for other issues I would probably not let that keep me from wearing it.
The other glaring issue is that the top is just too short. I made the shorter length to conserve fabric, but it really is too short for my comfort. For a regular (not tunic) length, I need to add about 2" to it.
That might help the next issue just a bit; the sleeves are supposed to be 3/4 length but they are more like 7/8. That's an awkward length in and of itself, but it also so happens that the sleeves and the lower edge of the hem are almost in a straight line, making a strong horizontal right where I don't need it. I need to either lengthen the sleeves to full length or shorten them about 3" so they are truly 3/4 length on me.
Finally, I'm hoping this has taught me for the final time not to buy polyester knits. My machine did NOT like sewing it, and it feels cold and clammy to me. I've just GOT to remember this the next time some of those pretty prints tempt me to ignore the fiber content.
So, this one goes into the donate bag, and I'll make the afore-mentioned corrections to the pattern and give it another go in the not-too-distant future.
I will also reduced the seam allowances through out; it was probably due somewhat to the poly jersey, but the 5/8" seams were twisting all over the place. I did a FBA and rotated the dart into the empire seam; that shaping rippled a bit and I'm hoping a smaller seam allowance will help with that. I think I'll raise the underarm just a smidge, too; it's just a little droopy.
I'll hold off on the review until I've made a keeper top... ;-)