Thursday, December 20, 2018

Another top done...

Hanger shots are pitiful...but, I probably won't get this worn till next week, and then the festivities will prevent a true blog post.

Last January, I ordered a couple of pieces of forest green knit...a 4-way jersey and a ponte...because we had been using that dark green color in choir in December and I had, like, nothing. 

Sure enough, the forest green came up again this year.

So I pulled out my jersey, and discovered that it had a serious void running all the way across the fabric about 7" from the end.

Then I remembered...I think this came from the roll ends page, and had a note about a flaw.

So, well, I cut it off at the void and then had to pick the pattern based on the length of fabric I had left.  I had intended to make Vogue 8691with the flouncy bits because I thought it would move so pretty, but, well, there just wasn't enough.  I played with some other patterns, but it pretty much boiled down to a plain T...or I could make 8691 without the flouncy stuff.

So I squeezed the 8691 onto the fabric and had enough, since I was cutting the neckband from the waste bit past the flaw.

But, the season being what it is and all, it laid on the cutting table for a week and a half or so before I finally cut it out...and I made myself cut it out before I started wrapping Christmas presents (the cutting table is also the Christmas wrapping station...isnt' it?).  And then it sat on the sewing machine table for another week or so.

I wasn't in choir the first two Sundays anyway; last week I made do with basic black and a black and green scarf.   I won't be in choir next week, either, and I don't know if I'll get laundry done in time to wear it on the 30th.  But I have it now.

And it would look better a bit longer.  But there just wasn't enough fabric for me to add even an inch and a half to the pattern, so I just went with what I had.  Maybe I'll hunt around and add lace or something sheer to it later....but it'll do for now.

I clicked through on Janice's links from the December Outfit-a-month post and, based on her recommendation,  splurged on a Lands' End sale and got a pair of dark green stretch velvet jeans and, except for being a little long (I didn't order petite), they actually fit well.  And they look good with the sparkly gold print on forest green long sleeved T I bought to go with them.  And, I believe they will work well with this top also.  So I've pretty much got the Christmas party outfits set, even if I don't wear the dark green for choir this month.

Maybe I'll clear the Christmas prep off the cutting table and see if I can squeeze in one more top...ever the optimist...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)