Sunday, July 24, 2016
Choir wardrobe 07 24 16 - 'You Can't Take Me Anywhere'
So we opted to stop for lunch at Nothin' but Noodles, a chain that serves up various pastas in various styles. I had alfredo with chicken and, for some reason, it was a little extra soupy today.
My hand placement on the black poly Loes Hinse Bistro jacket is to cover up, as much as possible, the resulting dribbly drippy spots on my classic (as in, purchased at the brick and mortar store before it was sold and converted to online only) Coldwater Creek top. It's a knit tank top with a poly chiffon overlayer on the front; I'm really, really hoping the spots will come out. It's one of my favorite ' Hot pink month' garments.
The pants, which seem to have missed out on the sauce slopping, are also Loes Hinse designs...the Oxfords modified into something like boot cuts.
The necklace is vintage, having belonged to my grandmother. You can't tell, but it's sparkly.
I'm still working on the project that was laying on the cutting table last week. I managed to finish cutting it out last night, which is pretty sad as it should have been quite simple...just a handful of rectangles. I originally intended to make scarves but it felt just a little too heavy for a scarf, so I decided to make a Plaza Jacket. But the fabric I used...which is beautiful...was ghastly to cut. It was a silk/rayon charmeuse burnout that I picked up in a sale earlier this year and I could NOT get an edge perpendicular to the selvage. I tried tearing it first...it tore crossways for just a bit and then ripped down the length of the fabric; it probably tore 6 - 8 inches before I managed to hit the brakes on the ripping process. I tried pulling a thread, but it would only pull through the chiffon, burnout bit and broke when it hit the unburnedout charmeuse bits. Plus, it angled severely to the selvedge, which made me look really closely at the fine weave and determine that it was actually twilled. Oy. I tried laying it carefully and cutting it with a straightedge and a rotary cutter, and the edge that looked perfectly straight wavered as much as an inch along the cut edge when it was moved. One of the most uncooperative fabrics I've ever cut.
I wasted a lot of fabric trying to get it square. I finally laid it out as flat as I could manage and cut it with the ruler/rotary cutter and hoped for the best. I carefully folded the pieces up and they're waiting for the trip through the machines. So far, I've been afraid to look and see how off grain it might be....
I've been selected for jury duty starting tomorrow; I'm really hoping everything gets resolved and they'll release the pool on Tuesday...I've got some pretty important meetings on Thursday at work that would be very inconvenient to miss. In any case, it's likely to cut into my sewing time this week.