Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Haz Mat Warning

I finished the last of the sheep costumes this morning...I really had to make myself do it, dress rehearsal is tonight.  That fleecy stuff does  not just generate feathery debris, I found; it also generates  very fine, almost invisible, fiber coating on EVERYTHING.  ( I didn't take any more photos, but you can refer to my last post for an idea of what I was dealing with)

After coughing and hacking and feeling kinda bronchitis-y I wised up and tied an old rag over my nose and mouth to cut down on the fibers I inhaled.  I wish I'd had a set of goggles...my eyes are itchy and red and irritated. I'm on antibiotic eye drops, because there was a problem that really started before I got the fleece, but it has gotten aggravated as I've worked through the costumes.

But they are done; I used about 1/2 the sheets on a lint roller to get the fiber off the cutting board (at least it doesn't feel slick now) and vacuumed the carpet...and most everything else in a 3 foot radius of the cutting table.  This may move the 'clean and organize the sewing nook' project up the priority list...right now, I can't even vacuum in there (bein' honest here...).

So...should you be called upon to make sheep costumes with the admittedly perfect-for-the-garment curly fiber fleece...take appropriate care....

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood sewing blogger...

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear that sounds nasty! I made some Cardigan jackets from a faux fur blanket and where I cut out in the bedroom looked like I'd murdered a teddy bear or something. I vacuumed it up from the carpet but there's still bits of it stuck to the bedding, curtains etc. A steam inhumation may help clear your passages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are recovering from the fleece attack! I had fabric that shed nearly invisible fibers like that, I ended up tossing it, not only was it a pain in the nose (and elsewhere), it also didn't sew well or take to pressing at all.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)