Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Are you watching the Bee?

I'd put up links, but they seem to only be actually good for a few days.

But go to Youtube and search for 'The Great British Sewing Bee season 3' and, if you're quick enough, you'll get some results.

Once again, Judges May and Patrick and host Claudia challenge, question, encourage,  rank and remark upon the sewing of a weekly dwindling number of home sewers.

Once again, I'm amazed at how well these folks perform under pressure.

Every week, my jaw drops at the 90 minute transformation challenge.  They complete incredible transformations -- I'd still be trying to make up my mind what I wanted to do.

The show is charming.  The folks are warm and friendly, and the only hint of drama comes from a camera shot of a somewhat stony face when one contestant hears that another has chosen to do the same creature for a kids' costume challenge.

If you watch in the background, you'll see the contestants joking with each other and helping each other out.

Five out of nine didn't even finish the little boy's lined, welt-pocketed vest.  Real people, real sewing.

Of course, I would've constructed it differently, so as to not have to 'sew blind'...and probably would've lost points for not following directions. :-)

I've heard that a pilot for an American version was actually filmed, then broadcast on some obscure cable channel with no promotion and so faded instantly away. 

Wonder if some kind of challenge could be wrangled around the Sewing Expos that travel the country...recorded and posted to Youtube, they'd go viral around the sewing community, if they were well done.  And it would be great promotion for the Expos.  But it would add the expense of a production crew.  Dunno if the ROI would be worth it.

So, I'll watch the rest of the season...and see if the stereotype shattering Lt. Col. will keep his string of creativity and excellent needlework running to the end, or if the continually-second-place retired air hostess will kick her game up enough to end up on top instead of runner-up.

Such fun... ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me so I could find the show on YouTube! TGBSB is such a warm, gentle yet competitive show--I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying it again this season...and making sure I stay away from spoilers til I've watched the most current episode LOL Every year it seems harder and harder. Can't imagine sewing anything in those time frames :-). FYI the Surf Easy VPN is working really well for me so far and I haven't had to pay anything yet.

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)