Before I jump into the progress report, I have a question.
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a downloadable photo editor? Or, maybe I should rephrase that...does anyone have experience with a cheap photo editor? I just need something that will crop and resize pictures, nothing fancy schmancy. Microsoft apparently removed the photo editor from their home package; I always used the one that was included in our Microsoft 03 package on the old HP, but, well, that has gone the way of all electronics. I really want to post some photos...
So. Back to the sleeve dilemma. Debbie had a very good point...something that Cynthia Guffey has stressed in her classes...you can't judge fit of a garment unless you've got both sleeves on. I knew that...but I didn't really want to put that other sleeve on just to take it off again.
Then I had a facepalm moment...I'd already FINISHED the lining...it had both sleeves set in, cut at exactly the finished sleeve length at the moment.
So I pulled the lining out and put it on. Hm. Looked promising, so I took a breath and put the other sleeve on.
Yeah, it's still pretty long.
But when I cross my arms, the sleeves hit precisely where I want them to.
I need that extra length after all.
So...woot woot, I pressed the sleeve seams, pulled out all the gathering/basting stiches and serged the seam allowances.
I'm looking at a fair amount of handwork now; I've got a floating back shield that I attached at the shoulders to floating chest shields and I'm going to hand tack that assembly to the shoulder seams and the armsceye seams, and have a look and see if that gives me just that pinch of extra support or if it really makes the top boardy.
And I also have some fleece sleeve headers to put in as well to support the shoulder cap.
None of that is in the pattern guide, btw. I'm making it up as I go.
Then I will add the shoulder pads; at some point in there I'll hem the sleeves, too.
Then I'll put the lining in.
I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. There's only one more major hurdle now...the buttonholes. The Kenmore makes nice ones, but with the cam set up it's always a bit of a guess as to just exactly where it's going to start sewing in the button hole pattern.
I'm still trying to think how to get rid of that guessing...